Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.

My computer wont recognize my router anymore. What can I

My computer won't recognize my router anymore. What can I do?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

Is it a laptop?

Have you made sure the wireless is turned on, i.e. the wireless light is turned on?

Does the computer/laptop see your neighbors' wireless network names?

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. It's a Linksys. WRT300N Version 1.1

It is a laptop

Wireless light is turned on

I do see the neighbors' wireless network names.

Thanks!

Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then open/expand Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm. Then restart the computer.

Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type:

netsh winsock reset , and press Enter.
ipconfig /release , and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns , and press Enter.
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt , and press Enter.

Then restart the computer and check.

If that does not work, please reset the router: with the power connected to the router, please use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The network is unsecured. How do I make it secure?
Please go to http://192.168.1.1 and login with the username blank (don't type anything) and the password XXXXX admin
(if you cannot login, try admin for the username also),

Then click on the Wireless / Wireless Security option to enable security (use WPA...) and set the security key. Then save.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now it says the settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network
Click on the network/wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen, then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
Then click on Manage wireless networks on the left.
Then select your wireless network name.
Then right-click on your wireless network name and click on Properties.
Then click on the Security tab.
then at Security type, select Open, then at Encryption type, select None, then click OK.
Then see if you can connect.

If that does not work, please right-click on (My) Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then open/expand Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm. Then restart the computer and try to connect again and check. Thank you.
Experience: Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It asked me for a password. When I typed in the one I set up it didn't connect. It keeps trying to connect saying it is taking longer than it should.
Can you remove security and try again? and/or set WEP security mode this time, thanks.