Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

I just bought a NetGear WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender. I

I just bought a NetGear WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender.
I think it is working, BUT when I try to connect to the new extended network, it asks for a password.

I have tried the password XXXXX the router as well as "password" "admin" and "1234". None of those work. What do you suggest?

thanks,

tom
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer, Ranked #1 Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- First, place your Extender equal distance between your router and the farthest wireless computer located outside the range of your existing router.

2- Plug in the power adapter and turn on the Extender, and wait for one minute. The
Extender Status LED will turn green

3- From the farthest computer, connect to the "NETGEAR_EXT" or "EXTENDER" wireless network. (If you don't know how to do that, please let me know the Windows or Mac version of the farthest computes)

4- Open a browser from the same farthest computer and go to www.mywifiext.net and it will automatically take you to the Smart Wizard to connect the Extender to the existing network.

5- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

6- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can't get to any smart wizard at mywifiext.net. I think the extender is working, but I can't connect my Ipad2 to the wireless network because it keeps asking me for a password. I am happy to pay you if I can get this working, but so far you have only copied the instructions and sent them back to me.

thank you,

tom

OK, did you set it up already? have entered any password?
In order to find out the password XXXXX follow the steps below:

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

1- Connect the extender to your computer with an Ethernet cable (this is only temporarily)

2- Click here -----> http://www.mywifiext.net/ (the extender must be connected to the computer with an Ethernet cable)

3- If prompted, The default login name (case sensitive) is admin and the default login password(case sensitive) is password.

4- Then check the wireless setting page. The wireless password XXXXX the extender should be listed there next to "Pass-Phrase" or "Key 1" (also called WEP, WAP, etc)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really can't get to wwwmywifiext.net. can you tell me where the ethernet cable is supposed to run to and from. one end goes in the extender box. Does the other end go in the router?
No, one end to the extender (that's ok) and the other end to the computer ethernet jack. Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I need to get an Ethernet cable. I am glad to pay a success fee, but so far, no success. There is no place to plug an Ethernet cable to my ipad2. The ipad2 is the computer that I want wireless extended coverage. Thank u, tom
Ok, the cable is just to connect the computer to the extender and find the password XXXXX it. You do NOT need to connect the extender to the iPad by cable, don't worry about it.

Thank you

John Cappucci