David Kirk
David Kirk, System Administrator
Experience:  4+ yrs system/ network administration. 13+ years desktop experience. Proficient in PHP, CMS, MySQL.
32665769

i have a toshiba satellite l505, its my personal computer,

i have a toshiba satellite l505, its my personal computer, in order to use it for work the it guy set up my wireless to their wireless system. I am no longer working for them and i need to set up my lap top to access my belkin wireless router at home, can you assist me, or do i need to take my laptop where i purchased it....best buy....than you in advance Dary Hanson
Category: Networking
Expert:  David Kirk replied 5 years ago.

David Kirk :

Welcome to Just Answer.

You should be able to easily connect to your home wireless. Do you know what the wireless password XXXXX network name is XXXXX XXXXX home wireless network?

Customer:

yes, but i would like tobe able to connect to any wireless system, my trouble shooter said to reset my wireless adapter-----network name is XXXXX XXXXX password XXXXX XXXXX

David Kirk :

You should be able to connect to any network on your laptop. Are you able to see the network name belkin.327f show up in the list of available wireless networks?

Customer:

yes

David Kirk :

So, when you connect to that network, what happens?

Customer:

it runs through, asks for security password, i type it in then it says unable to connect, then the trouble shooter comes up

Customer:

is there a way to remote access to my nlap top that you can help

David Kirk :

Do you have any other computers that you've been able to connect to your home wireless?

David Kirk :

Unfortunately, we don't have a remote access system, but I think I can help you through this.

Customer:

yes, the home system that my son uses, its wired, and my visio dvd player that that uses the belkin router for net flix, block buster and so on, so i know the router is working

David Kirk :

You may need to set the wireless security type and encryption. You can access these options by going to Start, then typing in the box wireless. Click on "Manage wireless networks."

David Kirk :

Click on belikn.327f. It should open another window. Click on the Security tab.

Customer:

o.k. then what

David Kirk :

Do you know what these are set to on your router?

Customer:

no, but i found the sytem that that the it guy put in, can i delete that system

Customer:

the security type is wpa/wpa 2

David Kirk :

Yes, you can remove the one the guy added.

Customer:

doing it now

David Kirk :

The security type and encryption in that page will need to match the settings in your router. Do you have access to the router's settings?

Customer:

no

David Kirk :

What model of Belkin router do you have?

Customer:

i removed the system the it guy put in----its a belkin 327f

Customer:

will trying to change network access from wired to wireless end this session

David Kirk :

I was looking for a manual for the Belikn 327F, but didn't see one on their site. If you have a manual, it will tell you what address you can use to manage the router. If you go to your start menu, type in cmd, it will open a command prompt. In that black command prompt, type ipconfig. It will list your network info, including the Default Gateway. Something like 192.168.0.1. You go to http://192.168.0.1 (or whatever the ip is on yours). This should give you a login to the router settings.

David Kirk :

Or, if you have another computer that successfully connects to the wireless part of your network, just copy the settings from that computer, to your computer.

Customer:

i think removing the set up and reconfiguring my wirless network has helped, my icon shows connected, with internet access----thank you for your help, i realize it can be difficult to help someone who is less experienced with computers---thank you for your help--didn't really want to go to best buy and feel intimadated-----sincerly Daryl Hanson