bbl242003
bbl242003, Network Architect
Experience:  BA, AND AA in Network + Security + and A+ certified through Comptia International Recognized
55282750

iomega network drive model mhndhd. Drive froze. power light

iomega network drive model mhndhd. Drive froze. power light blinks intermitantly.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.

bbl242003 :

welcome, is your iomega connected to your network router, or directly to your computer mac?

bbl242003 :

is it ethernet or usb connected?

Customer:

network router via ethernet. The power light just went solid and the drive light is now blinking blue and orange

bbl242003 :

try to access the drive via your mac

Customer:

attempt to connect via enternet failed. Cabeling problem with USB

bbl242003 :

do you have an alternate usb cable you can connect in between the drive and mac?

bbl242003 :

take a look around to see if you can locate one

Customer:

Have been looking. Points to note, once connected to the ethernet, the blue/orange light goes blank, the power light has remained solid.

bbl242003 :

have you successfully replaced the usb cable? the lights indicate a communication error via ethernet so a different cable would be a great choice right now

Customer:

I am using a USB connection right now. At first the blue/orange remained blank. I restarted the drive, power shows solid white, Blue/Orange blink between each other, 0.5 sec each.

Customer:

The drive cannot be viewed by any utility

Customer:

I must step away, will continue after 13:00 EST

bbl242003 :

while away, consider picking up a new usb cable for this, ALSO, try to switch the usb cable over to a different USB port on your computer

bbl242003 :

I will be here waiting to see if the above information helped you or not, if not, then let me know!>

Customer:

no help so far. Can you confirm in your opinion if the data may be accessed in another way?

bbl242003 : Try a different usb port first
bbl242003 : If no joy then
Customer:

No joy on PC, Mac, 2 different usb cables, no joy.

bbl242003 : Now try the iomega on a different computer
bbl242003 : This will tell us if
bbl242003 : The problem is the drive or computer config
Customer:

the drive has been in near continous operation for 2 yrs, the images were up this morning but the "wheel" got rolling if you tried to access stuff. again, blue and orange light flashing, alive or dead?

Customer:

Yes we have tried different computers, including PC's, no joy.

Customer:

going home. tomorrow

Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.
Ok we have isolated the problem down to the drive

Disconnect all cables from the drive

Gently shake the drive close to your ear and tell me if you hear noise
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have shaken the drive. No noise
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.
has this drive fallen any distance or fell on its side in the past 1-2 weeks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not a thing, sat safely in a rack working up to early Tues am., then froze.
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.
we will need to run an input output check on this ext. drive.

THIS WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY ON THE EXT. DRIVE

Are you comfortable with removing the drive from the casing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Currently I consider there to be 2 options,
A. send the drive back to IOmega for recovery
b. Open the case and continue
I consider the information on the drive as VERY VERY valuable. If opening the case compromises the willingness of expert recovery to accept the job or jepordises the information, lets stop here.
If on the otherhand you believe the symptoms to suggest a minor issue I may fix OR that the drive has a 95% chance of being dead, so I have nothing to lose, I will proceed.
Over to you.
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.
Being very honest with you, based on the value you have placed on the data, I strongly recommend having an expert labrotory open the drive and rescue that data for you. Avg cost 150 in the future always keep the bulk of data backed up in 2 locations.
bbl242003, Network Architect
Experience: BA, AND AA in Network + Security + and A+ certified through Comptia International Recognized