Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  7YRS+ WORKING ON COMPUTERS, CONFIGURING NETWORKS, CONFIGURING WIRELESS ROUTERS, ETC.
16299369

I have windows 7. I forgot my wifi password. How can I find

I have windows 7.

I forgot my wifi password. How can I find it on my computer.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan Halasz
Category: Networking
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 3 years ago.

Hello, what type of router are you using?

1) Linksys
2) Netgear
3) Belkin

etc.....?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

The name of the router: "b-box". It was installed by Belgacom.

Regards

Ivan

Do you have a laptop on Windows 7 right now that is online with this router already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No!

I have a new dell computer now with Windows 7. It works with the mentioned router, but it is a fix computer in my office and not laptop.

Regards

Ivan
I see. So if you have a Dell Desktop then it should not be connected wirelessly but using the Ethernet Cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's correct.

But my son came yesterday and wanted to work on his own laptop urgently.

He asked me to give him my wifi password. As I told you, I forgot my wifi password, so I couldn't satisfy him.

I see. In this case the only thing you can do is reset the router. There should be a reset hole on the main back. Press and hold it in until all the lights go off on it and then release it. Finally unplug it for one minute and then plug it back in and you should now have an unsecure router with no password.

If your modem/router is built into one, you will need to call your internet service provider on how to get inside it to be able to change it properly as there could be additional steps for you to take.

BEST OF LUCK!

GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information, but I don't want to have an unsecure router.

Equally, I don't want to get inside the router, as I am not an expert on this field.

On the other hand, if I ask my internet provider to come to my office, it costs a lot of money that I wish to avoid.

Is there any other way to find my wifi password?

No, I am afraid not. The only way is to have a wireless laptop that is already on the network so we can scan for its key, or look it up. Aside from that all you could do is go out and get another router to hook up to your internet modem like Linksys or Netgear, or Belkin that way its much easier to have control and access over.

If you can find a laptop that is on the network in your office, use this instructions to find the key...

To find your wireless password/key, please use these instructions below to get it...

1) Go here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

2) Scroll down to the bottom and click on Download WirelessKeyView for x64 (unless you have a 32bit operating system then use the first link)!

3) Download/Save File

4) Extract Files

5) Run WirelessKeyView

6) Look under Key Scii for your password/key

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to tell you: I have also a laptop Window xp, which is wireless connected to the router.

Does this information helps you to find another solution?

If your laptop has WIndows XP and is online now, then use the Wireless Key Viewer on that with my last answer and it will work.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am now on my laptop which has a wireless connection.

I followed your instructions but I did not succeed.

Can you explain why? Did you get the software to run? Did you look under the Scii?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I clicked on the suggested "nirsoft" on google.

I received several programs on google. Which one should I use?

Then you mentioned: scroll on the bottom? which program's bottom?

You are not to use google, you need to CLICK this link below from this window.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wirelesskeyview.zip

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok.
I clicked on download wirelesskeyview for x64

Then you mentioned: download/save file

I didn't find this new "download" order

X64 will not work under Windows XP. Please only use this download link below.

1) Click the link above

2) Save/Download the file

3) Run/Install the file

4) View Key

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is certainly not your fault, but my laptop is in French.

After having downloaded the file, I don't know what to do with point N° 3?? (Run/install the file?)

Here a I don't know what to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here a I don't know what to do.

Run in the French text is; execute

It appears this is a .zip file. If your windows xp can not open it, you may need a software like winzip installed first so you can read the folders contents.

www.winzip.com

You will have to download and install winzip, and then open the wireless key viewer folder and you will have 3 files here, so all you do is run the one for WirelessKeyView to open it up to view your current password.

Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience: 7YRS+ WORKING ON COMPUTERS, CONFIGURING NETWORKS, CONFIGURING WIRELESS ROUTERS, ETC.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Anthony.It works.

Best regards

Ivan

P.S. I accept your answer. Please inform "just answer" that that they still owe me 32$ and that my credit card should not be debited for your excellent work. Thanks.
Your Welcome!