ITCris
ITCris, System Administrator
Experience:  3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.
10156100

I cannot connect my new dynex wifi dvd player to our wireless

Customer Question

I cannot connect my new dynex wifi dvd player to our wireless router...a time out error keeps coming up...what am I doing wrong?
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, do you know the security key to connect your DVD player to your wireless router?

Customer:

Yes, it's the same one I use to connect the iPod's and such, correct?

ITTechQ&A :

Correct, now do you know if the router is set with WEP or WPA security?

Customer:

No, how do I find that out?

Customer:

I get to the part where I can see my router listed with some other local ones. I select it, put in the code and then it tries to connect then it says 'time out' and just stops.

Customer:

hello?

Customer:

are you there?

ITTechQ&A :

I am sorry for the delay.

ITTechQ&A :

I had a issue responding in the chat session

Customer:

hello

ITTechQ&A :

Yes I am here

ITTechQ&A :

I apologize for before I had a little bit of a issue responding in the chat session.

Customer:

i did too...wouldn't let me type

ITTechQ&A :

OK we seem to have a better connection now.

ITTechQ&A :

Last question I asked if you knew what type of security the router had WEP or WPA? Do you know?

ITTechQ&A :

Are you still there?

ITCris, System Administrator
Experience: 3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no I do not know. how would I find out?
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.
What is the make and model number of your router?

Also your security key is it a long series of numbers and letters?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Netgear N150 Wireless Router WNR1000
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.
Use a PC that is connected to the router with a network cable.

On that PC open a web browser and type in the following address:

http://www.routerlogin.net

That will bring up the router's login prompt. The default for a netgear router are:

username: admin
password: password

Once your logged in you should see the Netgear Setup page.

Click on Wireless Settings on left the pane. Please tell me what level of security you are using on the router WEP or WPA?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says: WPA2-PSK [AES]

Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.
OK,

It seems that WPA2 may be to high of a security for your DVD to connect. You will need to lower it to WPA make sure this is done from a PC connected to the router.

Save the settings and try to connect your DVD player
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NOPE...DIDN'T WORK. STILL SAYS 'TIME OUT' :(
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.
Try WEP you will need to then enter a passphrase and click generate. Use the key to connect your DVD.