RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

why is there a router showing up in my wireless network infrastucture

why is there a router showing up in my wireless network infrastucture calle Belkin Wireless Router (WFA) ? my network is WPA2 secured and i'm running W7

RobCat98 :

what kind of router are you using ? most likely that is your router.

Customer:

my router is a cisco and my isp modem is also a cisco

RobCat98 :

hmmm it may be somebody elses router that you are picking up

RobCat98 :

click on the network card and do search for available networks see if that one comes up

Customer:

i looked on the internet and found that several other users found this "ghost" router in their infrastructure but no aanswers as to why this is happening

Customer:

yes it does come up as an unsecure network. i can pick up several wless network i'm in an office building. but why would this particular router be part of my secured network ?

RobCat98 :

because its NOT secured

RobCat98 :

and so your card is picking it up as being able to get into it

RobCat98 :

where are you seeing it as part of your network ? my guess is that this is a bug in somebodies network admin software

Customer:

there are several other unsecured network available. Why does it pick up this one and why should it be part of the infrastructure ? in the network structure it shows my printer, my router, my computer, my NAS, and this strange router as being part of the structure

RobCat98 :

what is the program that is showing it ?

Customer:

i find this in the network window of my explorer. in other words, click computer, click network . it shows infrastructure. what is pecular is that other users found this !

Customer:

the program showing it is my window explorer

RobCat98 :

hmm give me a few minutes to do some research but how many computers do you have running

RobCat98 :

set the wireless card in each of them to ONLY connect to your router

Customer:

only one. if you google "belkin wireless router(WFA) you;ll get the same story from others

RobCat98 :

yeah i am looking at the same thing. of course that doesnt necesarily mean the people reporting it no what they are lookng at

Customer:

like me !

RobCat98 :

ok i think i got it

RobCat98 :

the moron who has that router not only has left it unsecured

RobCat98 :

but he has it running the new automatic configuration thing

RobCat98 :

it is supposed to avoid forcing people to remember their passkey or have any idea how to set up a network

RobCat98 :

what it does is constantly broadcast that it is available to connect to with a pin

RobCat98 :

devices that use it like playstations and stuff like that

RobCat98 :

just hit a button that says look for the device

RobCat98 :

and if u know the pin it wil automatically do everything to connect to it

Customer:

the weirdest thing is, if i click on this thing, it asks me to configure it. Like i can enter my own 4 or 8 digit pin and created my passphrase etc... i havent gone as far as to set it up. i am only cioncern about security of MY network

Customer:

if it shows up in my infrastructure does it mean it can connect into my network ?

RobCat98 :

yeah i wouldnt worry about it. your network is picking it up as a device that you can attach to easily

RobCat98 :

not as long as YOUR network is configured for security encryption

RobCat98 :

to make sure i would go into my router and make sure that it is set for manual configuration of the wifi connection

Customer:

not only is iy wep2 but also i only allow specific mac address to log in - so you think i shouldnt worry ?

RobCat98 :

no i definately wouldnt worry

Customer:

ok tks Rob