Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience:  CISCO Certified Networking Engineer
30970729

how many webcams can i connect to my computer

how many webcams can i connect to my computer?
Category: Networking
Expert:  networkwiz replied 3 years ago.

networkwiz :

Welcome to the justanswer chat support.

networkwiz :

•Computers typically have between 2 and 8 USB controllers.
•A USB controller can be:
-reserved for a device inside the computer
-linked to a single USB plug on the computer
-linked to many USB plugs on the computer
•There are no labels on USB plugs to indicate to which controller it is linked.

So...

If you want to connect many cameras on a computer, you may need to spread the cameras over the available usb controllers. You. Can do this by experimenting; connect the webcams on different USB plugs until it works.

Another way to do it is by manually map your USB ports. Here is how to do it:

1.Start your webcam software, make a webcam active.
2.Go to the Windows Control Panel, the to the Device manager.
3.At the bottom of the device list, you'll find the USB controllers. There should be a few.

4.Right-click on a USB controller to see its Properties.
5.In the Properties window, go to the Advanced tab.
6.Check out the Bandwidth Used section, this will give you a clue if the webcam is connected on a USB port bound to this controller.
Using this technique, you can see which devices are using which USB controller's bandwidth, so this way you can map the USB plugs and have a better idea of how to spread the webcams across all USB controller.

networkwiz, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience: MCA (Masters of Computer Application)
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If you plug in several USB webcams, you may find that some of them do not work. The number of webcams that can be connected to your computer is limited by the USB bandwidth and the video resolution. In general it should be fine to connect 3 to 4 webcams. If you want to connect more, you have to increase the USB bandwidth by adding PCI-to-USB cards.

You may also find that only one webcam is working when you connect multiple webcams. If the USB bandwidth is not all used up then this is usually due to an IRQ conflict, and you will then need to set the IRQ number of each webcam manually in Device Manager (under the Resource tab).
Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience: CISCO Certified Networking Engineer