Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

my laptop sees the netgear router but cannot connect.... what

Customer Question

my laptop sees the netgear router but cannot connect.... what gives?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Please right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device Manager, then open Network adapters, and right-click on the item(s) under it and click on Uninstall and confirm, then restart the computer and check.

Please click on Start, Run, then type cmd and click OK. Then type:

netsh winsock reset , and press Enter.
ipconfig /release , and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns , and press Enter.
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt , and press Enter.

Then restart the computer and check.

If that does not work, was the laptop working with your router previously? Did you make any change to the laptop or router recently? What is the error message when connecting to your router? Does the laptop connect to other routers/wireless networks?

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still reading and applying are we able to speak via phone?
Sorry we only have online support, but I will continue to work with you. Please take your time and let me know the result later. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
finished steps... no good.
problem started when my linksys router was acting up so Comcast sent me a free netgear router. no other changes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
r u still there
Can you reset the router: with the power connected to the router, please use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes and check.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
reset complete, no change
Was the laptop working with your router previously?

What is the error message when connecting to your router?

Does the laptop connect to other routers/wireless networks?

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
laptop is perfect, internal card still operable, connect fine to wireless LAN at work.
no error msg on router, everything seems to check out ok except that my laptop sees the signal but cannot connect, music bridge will not connect and my repeater and my xbox will not connect.
OK,the issue is the router, does wired connection work with the router? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, i am using it to communicate with you
If you login the router and change the wireless network name (SSID) and security type/mode, does it work? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what should i change teh SSID to? and i left the security setting OFF just to make connection easier.
Change to anything you want; change the security to WEP or WPA. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
done, ssid and wep are updated; now what?
Remove the network cable from your laptop and connect to the new ssid and key and see if it works. thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
laptop asked for WEP key so obviously saw update but still said "unable to connect"
So you've entered the wep key, but it did not work. You did all the steps correctly. Since the laptop works with another router/wireless network and all other wireless devices cannot connect to the netgear router either, then the wireless hardware function of the router is bad; please get another router and check.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok... that may take some time; how do i get back in contact with you at a later date?
You can always get back to me via this web page. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just to let you know i bought an apple air port, and a net gear router and the symptoms stay the same.... do you think it might be a registry problem?
Sorry, I don't think so, but I will open your question to other experts. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your efforts... do i wait to hear from someone else or do i have to do anything. At what time do they take the money from me?
You don't need to pay if the issue is not resolved. Please do not wait; just check your email later. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you keep asking me how you did but my router is still not working- how would you like me to reply. It has got to be a computer issue not a router issue , since 3 new routers have not worked.
Sorry, can you get an external USB wireless adapter and try? thanks.