Bernie, Network Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

My Netgear WIFI will not accept my password

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Are you currently on a computer that is wired directly to the Netgear router already?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes through charter cable

Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - as this will *temporarily* disconnect your internet before you connect again, add this page to your favorites so you can return to this session after you try the steps I give below - Or check your JustAnswer emails, there will be a link in there to get back to this page:

Press the reset hole on the back of your router with a paper clip for 30 seconds > After that, Unplug the power cord from the back of the modem and router for 5 seconds then replug

Wait until the lights on each have stabalized, then try to reconnect to your network from the problem computer, it should now be listed as NETGEAR. Then, you can use the router setup cd to make a new password XXXXX or setup the network manually:

Go here: > To login the username is XXXXX XXXXX the password XXXXX XXXXX (or 1234) > On the left click Wireless Settings

In the SSID box type a name for your network > Pick WPA or WPA2 for the security type > In the passphrase box make a password, at least 10 characters > Apply and exit

This will temporarily disconnect the internet until you reconnect to it with it's new SSID name and password XXXXX just made.

You can acknowledge my answer by pressing the Accept Answer button to the right of this reply, that is solely how I am credited for my time and efforts if satisfied, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Bernie

I am no computer whiz but you walked me through it just fine

Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
You're very welcome : )