Ryan H., Networking Expert
Experience:  A+ IT Certification
20388524

I cant get my ipad 2 connected to my wireless 2wire 056

Customer Question

I can't get my ipad 2 connected to my wireless 2wire 056
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.

zeyank :

Hello, my name is Ryan and I can help you today. What happens when you try to connect?

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

my ipad says that it cannot connect to 2wire 056. please tell me why my balance is $88 - when I put my credit card number in it said that it was invalid - so I put a different number in - is this a racket?!!

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

are you there?

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

oh, and I did put in my wireless key number that I have used for all other wireless items in my house (including an itouch)

zeyank :

Hello, sorry for the delay. It looks like it double charged you. After we finish our chat, I will have them look into it and credit half of it back to your card. You have verified that the wireless key works on other devices just not iPad?

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

I have two blue ray players, itouch, laptop computer

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

all work with the wireless key

zeyank :

Ok, can you please turn the iPad off completely.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

it is off

zeyank :

Once that is done, Remove the power from the 2Wire modem/router, wait 30 seconds and plug it back on. Wait 1 minute, then turn the iPad back on. Try to connect and let me know if the error message is the same.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

if i do that it will shut off my computer, etc.

zeyank :

Leave your computer on, you will lose the connection for a few minutes, that is fine.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

it says the same thing - "unable to join the network "2wire056"

zeyank :

Ok, go ahead and try this: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

didn't work - still says the same thing

zeyank :

Has this iPad ever connected or is it new?

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

it is new

zeyank :

Hmm, ok just a minute

zeyank :

Ok, lets try a hard reset -- Hold the power button and the top power button until you see the Apple Logo. (When the "Slide to power off" appears, IGNORE it.)

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

ok it's off

zeyank :

Ok, turn it back on and test again

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

same thing

zeyank :

Does the iPad see any other wireless networks?

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

no, just mine - when i check for other networks it asks me to put in the name and security

zeyank :

Ok, its either a problem with your iPad or a problem with the router. We can restore the iPad back to factory defaults and see if that will do the trick, or you can reset the router and set that back up.

zeyank :

(Or the password is wrong)

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

the password has worked for everything else I have in the house, including my wireless printers. I reset the router a couple of days ago

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

my ipad just found another network (my neighbor's) - of course, I don't have her password

zeyank :

The router may be acting up because so many devices are using it. Try to turn off most of the devices that use Wifi in the house (including iPad) then power cycle the 2Wire again, then turn on the iPad and test.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

will do

zeyank :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

still doesn't work

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

i don't have anything on except my computer and my pad now

zeyank :

Ok, restore the iPad to factory defaults using iTunes. Then try to connect. If that doesn't work, log into your router and turn off the security, then try to connect. If it doesn't connect, reset the router (using the reset button in the back) and set it up again. If that doesn't work, try to connect to another network for which you know the password, if you can connect no problem, then the problem is with the router. If you can not connect to any networks, contact Apple as you may have a dud.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

i'll try that, but I don't know anyone else's passwords - guess I could go down to starbucks

zeyank :

That would be great. I'm guessing its a issue with the router, but its strange because none of your other devices have problems.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

ok - this may take a while

zeyank :

Just let me know, thanks.

JACUSTOMER-nco6doc8- :

i would like the duplicate charge taken off my account]

zeyank :

Yes, I will send the message now for them to look at it.