Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience:  MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience
18458123

My laptop HP Pavillion pc does not recognise my WIFI from

My laptop HP Pavillion pc does not recognise my WIFI from Netgear . Do I need a driver? I have N600 WNDR 3700. The message states-- Windows was unabe to find a certificate to log you onto the network.Thanks. Marge Lang. XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Andy Kalita replied 3 years ago.

Andy Kalita :

Hello, I can help you with this

Andy Kalita :

Do you know what kind of wireless security is on your wireless router? Is it WPA or WEP?

Customer:

no

Customer:

possibly wpa

Andy Kalita :

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and reset the wireless adapter's settings

Andy Kalita :

on the laptop that can't connect, please try following steps

Andy Kalita :

go to Start, click on Run

Andy Kalita :

type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter

Andy Kalita :

this will bring up a new window; in that window, locate Network Adapters and click "+" next to it to expand it

Andy Kalita :

do you see the wireless adapter listed in there?

Customer:

security- WPa, WPA@ and WEP listed on the box

Andy Kalita :

yeah, those are just different options that can be set.... it's ok, let me know when you've done steps above and when you see wifi adapter

Customer:

look for wifi adaptor on which device? my laptop pc does recognise other wifi but not the one I installed in Feb.

Andy Kalita :

12:51 PM

go to Start, click on Run

12:51 PM

type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter

12:51 PM

12:51 PM

Customer:

no

Andy Kalita :

ok, what are the adapters that are listed?

Customer:

broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN and Intel(R) PRO/100 VE network connection

Andy Kalita :

ok, great

Andy Kalita :

now, please right click on Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN adapter and click Uninstall

Andy Kalita :

after uninstall completes, restart the laptop

Andy Kalita :

after Windows finishes restarting, it will automatically locate and install necessary drivers. If you get prompt after restarting, to provide drivers, just keep clicking Next through it, accepting defaults

Andy Kalita :

after that, please try connecting to your wireless again

Customer:

Message, --windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network

Andy Kalita :

ok, please go to Start->Programs(or All Programs)->Accessories->Communications->Network Connections

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

now, in the new window that opens up, right click on your Wireless Network Connection and click Properties

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

click on the Authentication tab, on the new box that pops up

Andy Kalita :

do you see the IEEE 802.1x authentication checkbox?

Andy Kalita :

and is it checked?

Customer:

yes

Andy Kalita :

ok, please uncheck it and click Ok

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

if you're prompted to restart the computer, please do so, otherwise, just try connecting to your wireless again

Customer:

Message-- unable to connect

Andy Kalita :

Ok, there's obviously a disconnect somewhere between your laptop and the router. Do you have any other computers connecting wirelessly to this router?

Customer:

yes, my Ipad . it works fine.

Andy Kalita :

ok, so before, you were getting "unable to find certificate" error, but now after unchecking that box, you're getting "unable to connect" error, right?

Customer:

yes

Andy Kalita :

can you please go back into the properties for the wireless connection, and click on Wirleess Networks tab

Andy Kalita :

then in Preferred Networks window, click on your wireless and click Properties

Andy Kalita :

now, click on Authentication tab and make sure that checkbox is not checked in there, for IEEE 802.1x authentication

Customer:

it is not checked

Customer:

my wireless is password XXXXX

Andy Kalita :

ok, good. I just wanted to make sure that the change was effective

Andy Kalita :

who is your internet service provider?

Customer:

Windstream communications

Customer:

Internet explorer

Andy Kalita :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me a minute while I look into the specifics

Customer:

it's a DSL line

Andy Kalita :

do you know if it's always on DSL, or the type that requires username/password XXXXX connect to ISP

Customer:

I think my laptop does not recognise the model of netgear that i have

Customer:

always DSL

Andy Kalita :

ok, thanks. The problem is not so much with the router model as it is with the security. The laptop sees the router, and tries to connect, but the connection is never established due to mismatch in security settings

Customer:

o

Andy Kalita :

usually laptop is able to pick up the necessary settings from the router, however, sometimes a more manual setup is necessary

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

do you mind going back to the properties of your Wireless connection?

Customer:

still there

Andy Kalita :

and let me know what the Authentication and security settings are selected there?

Andy Kalita :

WPA or WEP

Andy Kalita :

TKIP or AES

Andy Kalita :

etc

Customer:

wep

Andy Kalita :

ok, is the password XXXXX connect to your wireless, a collection of numbers and letters, or is it something that actually makes sense?

Andy Kalita :

the password XXXXX not be listed on that screen, i just need to knwo which one it is to determine security on the router

Customer:

it's a password XXXXX selected. a real word

Andy Kalita :

ok

Andy Kalita :

on the wireless properties box, change the security to WPA-PSK

Andy Kalita :

change the encryption to TKIP

Customer:

only choice is wep or disable

Andy Kalita :

ahhhh..... how old is this laptop?

Customer:

couple of years?

Andy Kalita :

can you also tell me it's model? You mentioned it's a Pavilion laptop, but there should be a collection of letters/numbers after that

Customer:

dv521 8nr

Andy Kalita :

are there any dashes?

Customer:

no

Andy Kalita :

i need to know the model exactly as it is written on the laptop

Andy Kalita :

is

dv521 8nr exactly as it shows on the laptop?

Andy Kalita :

basically if you flip the laptop, on the bottom there should be HP sticker with serial number, etc. It will have exact model for the laptop

Customer:

HP Pavilion dv521 8nr entertainment notebook PC

Customer:

dv5000

Andy Kalita :

hmm. none of these are listed on HP website

Andy Kalita :

can you please follow this link and make sure you follow the steps there to find out your model?

Andy Kalita :

Basically, the issue is that your wireless adapter in the laptop, only supports WEP

Customer:

try dv5218nr

Andy Kalita :

much better

Andy Kalita :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me a minute

Andy Kalita :

ok, is that laptop connected to the router at all? via ethernet cable?

Customer:

no

Andy Kalita :

do you have USB thumb/flash drive?

Andy Kalita :

we need to install an updated driver for this adapter

Customer:

working off my other computer

Customer:

yes. i have a jump drive to transfer the file.

Andy Kalita :

ok, good, let me first explain what we're doing

Andy Kalita :

basically, your router is set up for WPA/WPA-PSK security

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

while your laptop's wireless adapter only supports WEP

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

so what we're hoping for here, is that update driver would provide support for WPA

Andy Kalita :

then at the top of the page click Download and save the file to your local drive

Customer:

I can hook up the laptop to ethernet. but must disconnet the main computer

Andy Kalita :

then copy it to your USB drive, take that drive over to the laptop in question, then double click on the file on the USB drive

Andy Kalita :

that's fine, the USB drive route should work just as well

Customer:

HP stopped the download. not completed

Customer:

hp stopped the down load, it was not completed

Andy Kalita :

ok, instead of clicking on that Download button

Andy Kalita :

look down towards the middle of the page, there should be "Filename" with link next to it

Andy Kalita :

Andy Kalita :

right click on that link next to "File Name" and click Save Target As.

Andy Kalita :

that will bring up a dialog box, asking where you want to save it

Customer:

download complete

Andy Kalita :

nice, now just move the file to USB and then plug that USB into the laptop

Andy Kalita :

then on the laptop, double click on the file on USB drive, and follow steps to install the driver

Customer:

can you instruct me. Jump drive is pluged into computer

Andy Kalita :

ok, no please go to the place where you saved the file

Andy Kalita :

right click on the file and click Copy

Andy Kalita :

then go to My Computer

Andy Kalita :

double click on the USB drive (it should be visible in My Computer, and should be pretty obvious (drive letter D: or later)

Andy Kalita :

right click anywhere on the empty space there and click Paste; this will copy the file over to the drive

Andy Kalita :

once it's done, unplug the USB drive, adn then plug it into the laptop

Andy Kalita :

on the laptop, go to My Computer, double click on the USB drive in there, then find the file you copied earlier, and double click on it

Customer:

loading into lap top

Andy Kalita :

ok, cool

Customer:

i think its installed

Andy Kalita :

ok, good

Andy Kalita :

can you please go back to wireless properties, and see if you can change security to WPA-PSK now?

Customer:

no change . do we need to "run" the program?

Andy Kalita :

well, let's try this, before giving up on the adapter; (i'm assuming the driver was installed)

Andy Kalita :

in the wireless properties, select your wireless in Preferred Networks

Andy Kalita :

click Remove

Andy Kalita :

after it's done, click OK, then restart the laptop

Andy Kalita :

after it finishes restarting, try connecting to your wireless again

Andy Kalita :

it would be good to check wireless properties for your network again, to make sure that you can select WPA-PSK for security, after you restart

Customer:

new message__ unable to connect. only find two options: WEP and disabled

Andy Kalita :

ok, i'm sure now that your adapter doesn't support WPA based security

Andy Kalita :

it only supports WEP, which was big back in the day, but since then, have been found to be a little more effective than no security at all

Andy Kalita :

I would keep the security on the router, however, if you want to be able to connect this laptop to your wireless, you'll need to purchase the external USB adapter

Andy Kalita :

any new adapter will provide WPA support, however I would stick with Linksys or Netgear brands, for best support

Customer:

Is this something I can get at Best Buy?

Andy Kalita :

absolutely. Best Buy carries a wide range of adapters. Few guidelines I'll give you; stick with Linksys or Netgear, don't buy the most expensive adapter but stick with Wireless N type adapter for best range/speed

Andy Kalita :

beyond that, you should be fine

Customer:

ok

Andy Kalita :

once you install the new adapter, go back into Device Manager and disable the old wireless adapter

Andy Kalita :

just right click on it, and click Disable

Andy Kalita :

let me know if you have any other questions

Andy Kalita :

otherwise, if my answers were helpful to you, please click Accept

Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience: MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience