Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience:  MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience

Can I connect to the internet with my Panasonic Viera HDTV

Can I connect to the internet with my Panasonic Viera HDTV model number TH-C42HD18?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Andy Kalita replied 3 years ago.

Andy Kalita :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i'd be happy to help you with this

Andy Kalita :

by itself, you cannot connect this TV to the internet. There is no LAN port or WiFi capability built in, thus you won't be able to connect it to the internet in its current form

Andy Kalita :

however, do you have a gaming system, like PS3, or Wii?

Customer:

No

Customer:

I've heard I can get Roku or Apple TV. Will those work for this TV?

Andy Kalita :

that was going to be my next suggestion. Was trying to see if I could save you some money first

Andy Kalita :

basically, Apple TV, while slick, has somewhat limited options

Andy Kalita :

when it comes to using online services, such as Hulu

Andy Kalita :

how many devices do you have connected to this TV?

Andy Kalita :

Video devices, such as DVD, blueray, etc>

Customer:

just the DVD player and dish network

Andy Kalita :

do you know if either one is using HDMI connection?

Andy Kalita :

it's the cable with flat little connector

Andy Kalita :

your TV has 2 of those

Customer:

I've seen that connection and neither of those devices use them

Andy Kalita :

good

Andy Kalita :

Your best bet, feature wise and value wise, would be Roku XD

Andy Kalita :

if you follow that link, there are 3 versions of Roku. XD version has HDMI output, which is what you can use for your TV (keep in mind that it doesn't come with the cable, so you'll need to buy HDMI cable)

Andy Kalita :

and it has Wireless N connection to your wireless, which will give you better range and connection

Andy Kalita :

the setup is very straight forward, and instructions that come in the box are very easy (there are also not many steps, so it's pretty fast setup)

Andy Kalita :

you can purchase the device either online, or at your local retailer such as Walmart or Best Buy

Andy Kalita :

do you have any other questions I can assist you with?

Customer:

No. You've been most helpful. Thank you!

Andy Kalita :

you're welcome. If my answer was helpful to you, please click Accept

Customer:

I will. Thanks.

Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience: MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience