Justin
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

On my sony vaio how do I turn the wireless switch back on

On my sony vaio how do I turn the wireless switch back on?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Greetings

Could you please give me the model # XXXXX the sony. It should be written on the bottom of the unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pcg-2j1l
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

Please read: Remember to return and click the Accept button ONLY once your issue is resolved. If the first answer does not work, just REPLY to me and we will continue.

Generally speaking the switch is not a hardware switch, its a function key.

Look for the wireless symbol on one of the F key.

Hold down the FN key (should be located on the bottom left of your keyboard) and then tap the corresponding f key to turn the wireless card on. You should see a green light turn on and off on your laptop either on the top near the LCD, or in the front of the unit.

Furthermore, using sony's wireless assistance software you should be able to enable the receiver that way.

If this does not work, please REPLY and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This does not work
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Could you elaborate please.

Did you find the corresponding F key I was referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No there is no F key with a symbol like that on it
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I've checked the model, there should be a function key. You don't see something that looks like an antenna?

It may look like a sound wave as well. They vary, the vaio I'm looking at in front of me has f2 as the switch.

Generally there's not a hardware switch on the sony's (which would be located on the FRONT of the laptop and switches left and right).

I would double check on the function keys, you're not going to hurt anything by testing them. Just be sure you hold down the FN key and only click the function key once. Comparing the yellow light in front to show the wireless is turned on or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've tried all the f buttons and none of them did the trick
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Are you using Sony's wireless assistance?

What makes you believe the wireless reciever is off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The light is off and it kicked me off the internet. And I don't know what sony's wireless assistanat is.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Is this one of the all in one desktops or a laptop, I'm having trouble finding the model online.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the other model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Alright, I'll pull it up.

In the meantime go to start, all programs, accessories, run.

type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Look for network adapters, click teh + symbol next to it and read me off the wireless adapter please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
atheros ar928x
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
If there's no exlamation mark next to it, its likely ok.

I pulled up the user manual, nothing about where the switch is located, but based on the pictures I could find, I would have to say its on the top of the monitor near the power button or along the sides.

If you'd like to attempt to update the driver in case its something else its located here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGCJS270J&upd_id=4405&os_id=34

This should install the atheros connect agent in which the wireless switch can be activated from within the software as well.

I assumed this was a laptop which is why I stated the F keys but its an all in one so it will have a hardware button or switch (likely a switch).

Let me know if still no luck.
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration