John, Consultant
Experience:  8+ years in IT; BS in Info. Systems; A+ and Network+
51733811

blackarmor discovery no server found on your network

Category: Networking
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Jonathan :

Thank you for your question. I'd be glad to assist you today. Give me a few minutes to read over the NAS and Black Armor sw manuals.

Customer:

OK, good luck!

Jonathan :

Have you already setup shared folders via the web interface?

Customer:

No, I haven't been able to do that. Can't seem to get past this Discovery software. The thing comes pre-populated with three folders (Download, Wiki, Public). I can get into each, was even able to setup sub-folders, but you can't share them. I did establish two "shares" for lack of a better word (1 for each user) but I'm unable to access them. I think you need the Discovery part to be able to access these, or that's my guess.

Jonathan :

Have you tried plugging in the USB cable from the NAS to you computer then re-running the BA Discovery? What page in what manual did you follow to assign your NAS an IP/Gateway/mask ?

Jonathan :

I ask because the manual doesn't make sense. You can't just connect your NAS to the router and expect the Discovery software to find it without you assigning the NAS an IP or the router assigning an IP for it via DHCP.

Customer:

Q1: I have not directly plugged the NAS to my PC. There's a router in between right now. Q2: I didn't assign it an IP address. It seemed to pickup the next one in line. Router=192.168.11, PC1 = 192.168.1.100, PC2=192.168.1.101. The NAS picked up 192.168.1.102

Customer:

oops, router is 192.168.1.1

Jonathan :

ok, so you probably have DHCP

Customer:

Yes, that's for certain

Customer:

Would you like any screenshots of anything?

Jonathan :

What is the error msg when BA Discovery doesn't find the NAS?

Customer:

Standby and I'll run it right now...

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

FYI, software version: BlackArmor Dicovery v1.40 (1041.002)

Jonathan :

is that the version that came with it?

Customer:

Yes, it's coming off a DVD. Just purchased a couple weeks ago so it should be current.

Jonathan :

And you are running this from PC1 or PC2? Want to make sure you are on the same 192.168.1.x network

Customer:

If it helps you at all, I've attached a diagram of my network.

Full Size Image

Customer:

I'm working on the PC called "Keavy"

Jonathan :

I'm wondering if that switch is keeping Discovery from finding the NAS.

Jonathan :

Have you tried running the Discovery software from another computer?

Jonathan :

Have you power cycled the NAS since it was first powered on and grabbed an IP address?

Customer:

I don't think so. I also installed the Discovery software on the other desktop PC (Watson). Exact same result. "No server found..."

Customer:

And yes, I've powered off the NAS and the router, too.

Jonathan :

Please type the following in a cmd window and send me the results.

Jonathan :

ipconfig /all

Jonathan :

tracert 192.168.1.102

Customer:

Here's the IPconfig results

Customer:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Keavy
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-A8-82-23-9E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.77.134
68.87.72.134
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:15:08 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:15:08 PM

Customer:

and the tracert...

Customer:

Tracing route to 192.168.1.102 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.102

Trace complete.

Jonathan :

standby

Jonathan :

you've restarted your computer since installing the Discovery sw?

Customer:

The old reboot, eh? Yes, I did that early on but not lately...

Customer:

One other thing I did, while roaming around on the NAS home page, was I added the work group BIRDNEST but this didn't seem to make any difference. Are you suggesting a reboot?

Jonathan :

reboot the workstation, yes

Customer:

OK, but before I do that, how do I get back to this chat session? Do you have a URL that I can save?

Customer:

Or, just use the one I'm looking at in my browser?

Jonathan :

You can go back to the original question you posted and the chat will come up again

Jonathan :

before you reboot, try one more thing

Jonathan :

in the cmd window, type "arp -d *" without the quotes

Jonathan :

then try running Discovery again

Customer:

I tried it but nothing changed. Still can't find the NAS 220. Anything else or should I give it the 3-finger salute?

Jonathan :

go ahead and reboot

Customer:

OK, back in a few...

Customer:

Same old same old ... No Server Found on Your Network

Jonathan :

standby

Jonathan :

Do you have firewall ON on the PC?

Customer:

Yes. I have Norton 360 running. I've shut that down in the past but let me disable it now and try it again.

Jonathan :

I would stop the Norton services as well in Services

Customer:

Interesting. The button to Stop the Norton 360 Service (this is inside the Services area) is grayed out. Can't do it and it's running!

Customer:

Any way around that?

Jonathan :

Someone had a similar issue, but with ESS (different firewall sw)

Jonathan :

fix was to uninstall the firewall and reinstall, but BlackArmor still didn't work while ESS is installed.

Customer:

So, botXXXXX XXXXXne, you're thinking the two are incompatible?

Jonathan :

I believe the issue here is Norton blocking the return traffic from querying out to your network. If there's a "accept everything" mode in Norton 360, you can try setting it to that then searching Discovery again.

Jonathan :

Not incompatible.....you will need find a way through Norton 360 to allow all BlackArmor traffic to go back and forth through the firewall.

Customer:

They have lots of options and I'll think that I'll go mess with that, see if I can find the right combination.

Customer:

But, there is a Plan B. Replace this goofy NAS with a different product.

Jonathan :

Look for something that allows you to open all traffic to a specific IP or something to that effect.

Jonathan :

Firewalls always give me headaches. :)

Customer:

Can you recommend another NAS product that's comparable. This one has a pair of 1 TB drives running RAID1. Keep it under $400 when you consider that question.

Jonathan :

Personally I prefer the Western Digital products. I've never had a personal NAS device though, but I would stay away from the ones that Netgear offers.

Customer:

Haven't had much luck with Seagate -- obviously there software is not so great. Why the thumbs down on Netgear?

Jonathan :

You might run into Firewall problems with those as well; keep that in mind.

Customer:

Yeah, you're right. Firewalls are a pain in the touche and they keep pointing fingers at one another.

Jonathan :

I purchased a NAS from Netgear before and they had some wacky way of formatting a drive that if it ever failed, you couldn't recover it because it wasn't fat32 ot ntfs. they might have changed since.

Customer:

Gotcha. Thank you for your help. I think you've managed to pinpoint the problem even though we weren't able to fix it.

Jonathan :

Not a problem.

Customer:

I'm done. Any thing else you want to add or other parting words?

Jonathan :

Let me know if you have any questions or need some clarification on anything. We're here to help.

Jonathan :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. If you are satisfied with the support I have given you, please click Accept to close out the question. Your feedback is appreciated.

John, Consultant
Experience: 8+ years in IT; BS in Info. Systems; A+ and Network+