bbl242003
bbl242003, Network Architect
Experience:  BA, AND AA in Network + Security + and A+ certified through Comptia International Recognized
55282750

I cant connect my acer tablet to my wireless modem, Verizon

Customer Question

I can't connect my acer tablet to my wireless modem, Verizon model 7500
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 3 years ago.

bbl242003 :

Hello welcome, to get started please fill in some text below, and press the enter key one time, AVOID pressing accept until I have assisted you. If you respond to me and I'm not online, I will respond to your Latest info to me ASAP. Sorry for the delays in responding to you. THANK YOU

bbl242003 :

I understand your acer does not connect to your HOME wifi?

Customer:

Correct

bbl242003 :

has the acer ever worked with thiswifi?

Customer:

It's new. I haven't used anything with this wifi yet. The tablet worked at the store of course. Maybe I need a different modem. I know Verizon has several.

bbl242003 :

lets see if we can fix it

Customer:

o.k.

bbl242003 :

are you talking to me now with the same MIFI connection ?

Customer:

yes. Just for clarification, the tablet is new, the wifi is old, but never used for wireless until now.

bbl242003 :

Ok thanks

bbl242003 :

now, let power up the acer

bbl242003 :

see if it detects the MIFI network

Customer:

power on

Customer:

It says it is connected to a network 09fx05001093 in one place, then in another, it says not in range. The browser does not open. No connection

bbl242003 :

ok, lets not open a browser just yet on the acer

Customer:

o.k.

bbl242003 :

do you know the name of the MIFI router or MIFI networ ? this is known as your SSID

Customer:

checking the back of the modem I have WEP: B4IE8S2619. Also ADSL2+ modem router. Does any of that help

bbl242003 :

yes it does

Customer:

SN 09FX05001093 is the number on the back of the modem that the Acer seems to recognize and say "connected to"

bbl242003 :

ok great

bbl242003 :

that leaves us with

bbl242003 :

making note of the WEP number you just gave me

bbl242003 :

then inserting that number into the WEP security authentication screen for the acer

bbl242003 :

normally the acer would not say connected unless this number was already inputted into the acer wifi adapter

bbl242003 :

also what model number is XXXXX acer, and what operating system is it?

Customer:

Model a500 Android version 3.0.1 Kernel version 2.6.36.3

bbl242003 :

andriod is our first problem

bbl242003 :

stand by please

bbl242003 :

stand by

bbl242003 :

THIS IS a video http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Connect-Android-Phone-to-a-Wireless-Network-239477902 to connect to a wifi with the ANDROID operating system, let me know if it helps you connect to your MIFI

bbl242003 :

I understand it is for a phone, but the system is the same system your using now with the acer

Customer:

o.k. will watch now

bbl242003 :

thanks

Customer:

There isn't much to select from on the tablet. And it says "connected " to the number on the router. It just doesn't seem to be. The tablet can access my e-mail from my desktop, but can't launch the browser.

bbl242003 :

well my fault, so the internet works just fine on the acer, but the browser will not launch?

bbl242003 :

go ahead and launch the browser once more, let me know if it gives you an on screen error?

Customer:

It says: Webpage not available the webpage at http://www.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a nw web address. Suggests making sure I have data connection or reload the webpage later. Sorry I didn't mention before that the E-mail was accessible

bbl242003 :

well, your data connection is just fine, the problem is your browser, do you have anothe one installed on the acer?

bbl242003 :

please take your time, and see if you can locate a second installed browser

bbl242003 :

then launch from that browser

Customer:

There is a "marketplace" button which also says "no connection" My e-mail is on aol. I can read the mail, but can't get to the internet there. Message: Unable to open connection to server.

bbl242003 :

interesting

bbl242003 :

this is my plan

bbl242003 :

do you have thumb drive?

bbl242003 :

ie. flash drive?

Customer:

No. I've intended to get one, but haven't .

bbl242003 :

ok, lets get one, then we are going to download a new browser for the android acer, move it over to the thumb drive, and then install it on the acer

bbl242003 :

feel free to respond once you have it so i may walk you thru the steps

Customer:

This will take some time.

bbl242003 :

sure, simply respond here, instead of posting a new question, thanks

bbl242003 :

thanks

bbl242003 :

till then, let me know if you have further questions for me

bbl242003 :

thanks

Customer:

I'm back with flash drive

bbl242003 :

welcome back

bbl242003 :

lets now determine which browser your using right NOW for the android acer?

Customer:

o.k.

bbl242003 :

let me know what you find

Customer:

How do I tell what the browser is? When I click the browser button it goes to the Google web page (which can't open)

bbl242003 :

take a look at the browser button, what does it look like? is there a bird in it, , the letter e, etc?

bbl242003 :

does the button look like the button here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Customer:

Just a blue earth globe. No letters

bbl242003 :

stand by

bbl242003 :

ok you likely have the honeycomb browser

Customer:

Probably. The salesman yesterday mentioned Android Honeycomb, but I thought it just referred to the operating system.. I don't see it mentioned in the settings

bbl242003 :

lets try the skyfire browser,

bbl242003 :

hang on please

bbl242003 :

ok here is the download site http://www.skyfire.com/en/product/android once your there look at the top right corner for the download link /button

Customer:

found it

bbl242003 :

great

Customer:

What now?

bbl242003 :

lets move the new browser onto the thumb drive, then move the thumb drive over to the acer

bbl242003 :

then access the thumb drive from within android and install it

Customer:

Sounds good when you say it

bbl242003 :

hopefully it works as good as it sounds

bbl242003 :

how is it coming?

Customer:

I obviously have no clue how to make this work. How do I get the browser to download?

bbl242003 :

ok, the idea is too acess the thumb drive

bbl242003 :

have you already moved the downloaded browser over to the thumb drive?

bbl242003 :

or you have not downloaded the browser yet?

Customer:

IThe download button doesn't tell me anything. How do I get it to download to the thumbdrive?

bbl242003 :

while your waiting on me, please take a look at the acer tablet, let me know if you see USB ports on it

Customer:

yes

bbl242003 :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to find a free version of the browser, I keep locating ones that cost , stand by please

bbl242003 :

just fyi, android has many limitations with compatible browsers, but lets try a free one named maxton, here http://www.freeware4android.net/google-android-3-0-device-1901/maxthon-browser-for-android-download-22733.html THEN SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] then click it

bbl242003 :

correction,

bbl242003 :

until you see a blue download button

bbl242003 :

your going to download the file onto your current computer desktop, then save it to the thumb drive, then move the thumb drive over to the acer

Customer:

The download is done. Hopefully into the thumbdrive. Ive put it into the tablet. Now hhave to figure out how to transfer.

bbl242003 :

ok, did you note where you downloaded the file too? by default i twill not save to the thumb drive, you actually have to move the file to the thumbdrive

bbl242003 :

standing by

Customer:

What if I use a usb cable and download directly into the tablet? I notice the tablet is listed in their list of acer devices.

bbl242003 :

you want to run the usb cable from the acer to where?

Customer:

to my computer

bbl242003 :

thats not going to work , I have another idea

bbl242003 :

lets go to the acer, before you press on the blue earth round browser button, I would like for you two RIGHT CLICK on time, and let me know what options appear

bbl242003 :

be right back

Customer:

media server and wifi settings

bbl242003 :

click on wifi settings

Customer:

o.k.

bbl242003 :

In "Settings" page, click "Wireless & controls".

Settings
Full Size Image

bbl242003 :

In "Wireless & controls" page, click "Wi-Fi settings".

Wireless & controls
Full Size Image

bbl242003 :

In "Wi-Fi settings" page, tick the box on the right side of "Wi-Fi" to turn ON the Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi settings
Full Size Image

bbl242003 :

then within the latest image/box put a check mark in the network notification box

bbl242003 :

then select add wifi network

bbl242003 :

be right back

Customer:

I have the add network box

bbl242003 :

ok, now n the "Add Wi-Fi network" page, enter the NAME OF THE MIFI that was detected prior , it must be exact or this will never work

bbl242003 :

enter WEP for security

Customer:

Do you mean the one that it says is already connected? We're talking about a number for "name"?

bbl242003 :

Scroll down and then input "the WEP PASSWORD XXXXX found several hours ago" into Wireless password" use acer tablet for the identity name

bbl242003 :

yes correct

bbl242003 :

a number for the name ONLY IF IT IS THE CORRECT NAME for the mifi verizon router

bbl242003 :

it will be displayed wireless so ensure to be exact

Customer:

When I type tht same number with wep in the add network box, it says "not in range" However, at the top of the page it says "connected" to that same number

bbl242003 :

does it say not in range after completing all the steps?

Customer:

yes

bbl242003 :

ok, we need to disconnect the one that says CONNECTED

bbl242003 :

then

bbl242003 :

repeat the above steps and see if the NOT IN RANGE clears

bbl242003 :

be right back

Customer:

I disconnected the top setting which said it was connected. Now it says "scanning". Where I added the same name, it still sas "not in range"

bbl242003 :

restart the acer tablet, then repeat the process

Customer:

Again, that name appears under WI-FI as "connected"

bbl242003 :

if it continues, then that means the name is XXXXX XXXXX correctly, or the wifi adapter needs to be reset, either way, we will figure it out

bbl242003 :

thats probably because the older connection is setup to connect automatically

bbl242003 :

we need to remove that connection

bbl242003 :

as create the new one

bbl242003 :

and create the new one

bbl242003 :

once we do it , we can be assured we have a correctly configured setup for wifi access

Customer:

Is it possible I need a different modem? I'll restart, then eliminate all of the network entries then re-enter the one I want?

bbl242003 :

I doubt you do since you are able to receive email from the wifi connection already, then it tells me we have connection but may have a problem with authentication thus not allowing us to browse the internet from the acer tablet, the likelihood of a bad wifi router is very low at this point, if you can get one for free then go right ahead, however if it is going to cost you money, then I would say lets troubleshoot more, nonetheless, it is always your discretion in what you want to do

Customer:

BROWSER OPENED11 I cancelled all previous entries of the name, then re-entered it with password. I think the password XXXXX the key

bbl242003 :

awesome!!!

bbl242003 :

go to webpage www. msn.com

bbl242003 :

what happens

Customer:

I've got the news option, sports, videos etc

bbl242003 :

if this information answers your
question, then press Accept below, REMEMBER to keep all the
emails sent to you by the system, so that you may respond
DIRECTLY to me, WITHOUT having to pay again. ENSURE to leave
me Postive feedback! if you have additional questions, then
respond when your ready!

Customer:

You certainly earned your money today. I can't believe I spent all day on this. Thank you so much

bbl242003, Network Architect
Experience: BA, AND AA in Network + Security + and A+ certified through Comptia International Recognized