Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience:  Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist

Im trying to connect an AT&T 3G MicroCell to my netgear N600.

I'm trying to connect an AT&T 3G MicroCell to my netgear N600. It is supposed to boost our cell phone coverage. It's having trouble connecting to my network. Any suggestions?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

#1 - Do all other wireless/hardwired devices/computers currently connect to the Internet that are on this router?

#2 - Are you connecting the mini tower via hardwire or wireless?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
#1-Yes
#2 - hardwire
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Do you currently do any port forwarding (that you know of) to any machines in your network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, from a PC that is currently wirelessly connected, go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Type in ipconfig and press enter.

Tell me the default gateway.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
192.168.1.1
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Open from that computer, open up the web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer)

Go to http://192.168.1.1

The default username/password XXXXX username admin and password password --- If you have changed them, use the ones you changed them to.

From there, locate the WAN SETUP tab.

Check to turn on the DMZ and then input the IP Address on your AT&T microcell there.

Then press Apply.

Then unplug power to your modem, router, and microcell. Wait 15 seconds.

Plug in power to only your modem. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug in power to your router. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug in power to your microcell. Wait 60 seconds.

See if that resolves the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microcell directions say wait 90 minutes for initial setup--i'll update you

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, no problem. Just reply here. Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still not working--AT&T advises that the error is that the location address is not the same as I registered-I verified they have the correct one??
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
I would suggest taking the device back for a new one. If you have DMZ open to the device, there is no reason it would not connect.

Either there is an error on their end with registration of the device on their server or the device is defective.

Either way, there is not anything else you can do to correct the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Took one device back--same drill--when I hardwire my computer to the microcell it shows another netgear connection
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Are you using the hardwire from the microcell "Internet" port to your Netgear numbered port?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a computer port on the microcell hardwired to my computet
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Please connect an ethernet cable in the Internet port on your microcell and plug it into one of the numbered ports (#1, #2, #3, or #4) on your Netgear.

After you have done that power off your microcell and then power it back on.

Then test the connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No change--that is how I had it initially--just tryed the computer connection

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, what is the exact error that the microcell is giving you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Send me an email address and I'll forward the error email
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, it is against policy for expert to provide direct email addresses or direct phone numbers to customer.

You can copy and paste whatever you were going to email here though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Activation Failure (Error 102)
Hello MARGARET HAFNER,

Mobile Number# XXXXX Device# XXXXX

Your 3G MicroCell activation has failed. The address you registered online doesn't match the physical location supplied to the network by the unit's GPS signal. Check your address by visiting att.com/3GMicroCell, under Manage Your MicroCell select Manage Now. Please call Customer Care 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX for further assistance. Helpful information is available 24 hours a day at att.com/3GMicroCell including Frequently Asked Questions, Troubleshooting, and Managing Your 3G MicroCell.

Thank you,
AT&T
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Okay.

From your PC, go to http://www.att.com/3GMicroCell

And update your physical address...

If that doesn't work, you may need to have an AT&T tech come out to verify the GPS's address to your physical address (they may be incorrectly synced).

Once again, there isn't much you can do here, because it's an internal issue with AT&T...

I wish there were more I could do at this point.
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience: Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist