sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Experience:  B.Tech.
33602187

I had to replace my Qwest modem recently and now I cant seem

I had to replace my Qwest modem recently and now I can't seem to get Wifi back and my daughters are pissed. I have a D-link router. I made the connections and when I do that I can't get internet. Can you help?
Trent
Category: Networking
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.

sandy :

Hello My Friend, Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today.

sandy :

Please make sure that modem must be connected to internet/wan port of the router.

Customer:

So, I have my modem connected to my pc

sandy :

Please connect your modem to internet/wan port of the router and then try to connect wireless.

sandy :

If you are not able to connnect wireless, please reset your dlink router.

sandy :

1. Turn off the router

2. Locate the Reset button on the back of the router.

3. Use a paper clip to press the Reset button and power on.

4. Hold for about 5 seconds (don’t hold too long) and then release. (Or, release when M1 and M2 flash at the same time.)

5. After you have completed the above steps, the router will be reset to the factory default settings

sandy :

Confirm this expert's assistance by pressing the ACCEPT button.

Customer:

ok, so when I make these connections, I will lose my internet connection, right?

sandy :

yes

sandy :

but, you will be connected again.

sandy :

Thank you.

sandy :

Please Confirm this expert's assistance by pressing the ACCEPT button.

Customer:

ok I reset it

Customer:

do I have wireless?

sandy :

please connect your modem to internet/wan port of the router.

sandy :

After that, goes to the computer and try to connect wireless.

sandy :

Thank you.

Customer:

I still can't get wi fi

Customer:

Sandy, please be assured that I will accept when I get wifi back

Customer:

if this were that simple, I would have had the connection already.

Customer:

I have made several attempts by changing the connection to no avail

sandy, Networking Engineer
Experience: B.Tech.
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
If you have any queries, please let me know.
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Does your laptop detect your wireless network?
Did you connect your modem to the internet/wan port of the router.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still have no wifi Sandy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sandy,

Yes,

I made the connections however, I couldn't get the internet or wifi

Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please confirm:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is a desktop and no, I didn't get wireless or the internet after I made the connection
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please connect the modem to internet/wan port of the router And then connect a cable from the router to desktop computer to make a wired connection with desktop.

now, please check if you are online on the desktop computer or not.

if not, please turn off modem, router desktop.

First turn on modem, then router and then computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well,I am back and no, it didn't work. Perhaps it's my setup. My PC is connected to port 4 on my router and I have a cable going from the WAN on the router that is connected to the modem. Why am I losing internet and why can't I get wifi?

Thanks,

Trent

Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
it means your router is now connected in between the modem and deskop computer. correct.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that is correct.
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Alright, let us try to connect wireless on laptop.

how many laptops do you have?
What is the operating system on laptop? windows xp, winodws vista or windows 7?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, this is a desktop and I have windows 7 operating system
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
How many computers do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have two desktops
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
okay, you are talking to me using one desktop computer and it is connected to the router.

now, you want to connect the otherone wireless?

Were you able to connect wireless on this desktop computer before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had wireless a month ago until I replaced my modem. I had a problem connecting to the internet so I bypassed my router and that allowed me to receive the internet
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please follow these steps on the computer on which you want to connect wireless:

1. Click start.
2. Right click computer.
3. Click Manage.
4 Click Continue if it asks for to click on it.
5. Now, click (a TV icon in front of it) on the left hand side under computer management.
6. Click +sign in front of Network adapter on the left hand side.
7.Under the Network adapter, please right click on the items one by one and and click Uninstall. Restart your computer.

Now, please try to connect wireless.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will do that and let you know in a few minutes
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
sure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sandy,

I had trouble finding Network adapter until I clicked on device mgr on the left hand side. I then only saw and uninstalled Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller. I then restarted my pc and made the connections again and no soap. It didn't work

Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Do you see only Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller?
Do you see any wireless adpater under network adapter?
Please check this once?

If not, please check if you see any yellow exclamation mark under other devices.

Please tell me about the make and model number for this desktop computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a Dell Inspiron i560 that is five months old. Also, under Network adapters, there is nothing that says wireless in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I downloaded the operating sys for my pc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I never got the wifi I wanted and so I guess I will give up until tomorrow, unless you can suggest something else.
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please contact me anytime.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I would however, I never got the wifi connection and this was a total waste of time.
Expert:  sandy replied 3 years ago.
You need to download, install Atheros wireless driver:

http://support .dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W732&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_560MT&hidos=W764&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

Pleaes open the link given above. choose your operating system and download install the wireless driver under network icon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what a waste of money. I hired a local tech to hook it up for me. Your site is a joke.