Brad M
Brad M, Network Administrator
Experience:  IPSEC VPN, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, etc... Currently a network admin at a webhosting company.
41676755

How do i configure my NetGear Prosafe JGS524

How do i configure my NetGear Prosafe JGS524??
Category: Networking
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The switch just doesn't seem to be working but I have never set one up before so I may be doing it wrong. I have the modem plugged in. The router plugged into the modem, and then a cable from one of the ports on my netgear router to the switch. Then I have my 5 desktops plugged into the switch but none of them are able to access the internet.

What do I need to do to configure the Switch? Or is there something else I need to do.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, first off, can they see the internet without the switch just plugged into the router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes... I have tested each individually and they all have been connected before.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried just one computer first?
Are they static or dynamic ips?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have tried only one and reset everything and that didnt work. I am not sure about the ips... How do i find that out?
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok I didn't realize you had macs.
I'll have to opt out as I'm not as familiar with those settings....
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you with this issue.

If the Netgear switch that you have is the JGS524, then it is an unmanaged switch, which means that you do not need to configure anything on it. However, if you have the JGS524E or the JGS524F, those are managed and there may be some configuring you need to do.

Assuming you have the regular JGS524 (unmanaged) switch:

1. Power down your modem, router, and a computer you can test the connection with.
2. Disconnect the switch from the router (we'll test without the switch first).
3. You should have an ethernet cable going from your modem to the WAN (sometimes called "Internet") port on your router.
4. From the router you should have an ehternet cable going from any of the other ports to one of your computers.
5. Power on your modem first. Wait at least 1 minute (or until the lights on the modem stabilize)
6. Power on your router next (same method).
7. Power on the computer finally.
8. Test your connection to the internet on the computer.

If you can successfully connect to the internet, then you should be able to power on your JGS524 switch. Unplug the ethernet cable from your computer, plug that end into any port on the switch. Next, get another ethernet cable and plug it in from any port on the JGS524 switch to your computer. Your computer should reconnect and you should still be able to access the internet.

I know this may be what you've already tried, but sometimes doing things in this specific order can resolve the problem. If you still have problems or if you have the JGS524E or F, let me know, and I will be happy to help you. The good news is that the ProSafe products have a lifetime warranty, so if it turns out to be defective, Netgear should RMA another one to you.
Brad M, Network Administrator
Experience: IPSEC VPN, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, etc... Currently a network admin at a webhosting company.