Jason
Jason, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

My belkin wireless usb adapter n150 will not recognize my galaxy

My belkin wireless usb adapter n150 will not recognize my galaxy tab hotspot transmitions. Why not?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Can you please explain your issue in further detail?

Please, describe the wireless connection that you are attempting to establish.

Customer:

I'm attempting to use my new Galaxy Tablet as a mobile modem hotspot connection to the internet. I have been connected for several years through Hughes. Net but wish to add much more mobility for travel and research purposes. The Verizon people recommended I buy a Belkin N150 USB Wireless Adaptor and install it and that would be my connection with my desktop while at home. While away, I'll use my Galaxy as a mobile hotspot with my wireless laptop. I can also use the Galaxy as a stand alone if necessary.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Hello

Networking Extraordinaire :

As of right now, you can access the Internet on the Galaxy with no problems?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Can you please, let me know how far along in this process you have gotten?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Did you have any problems.?

Customer:

Yes, I can access the Internet on the Galaxy with no problems.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

How far in the wireless connection process did you get?

Customer:

I bought and installed the Belkin USB Wireless Adaptor on my desktop yesterday afternoon for the purpose of linking to the Internet through my Galaxy

Networking Extraordinaire :

1) Did you enable the wireless hotspot application on the Galaxy?
2) Does the Windows XP computer see the wireless signal from the Galaxy?

Customer:

Yes to question 1)

Customer:

No to question 2)

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

Does the Galaxy indicate that the wireless function is enabled?

Customer:

Not that I know of. I did not know that it could or would and so did not look for such. Nore did the Verizon tech who tried to solve the problem mention any such thing. She could not resolve the problem so suggested I contact a Belkins person.

Customer:

We go into my laptop and try to get my professional xp to recognize the Belkins but it would not.

Customer:

I'm sorry--I meant my desktop--not my laptop. Sorry!

Networking Extraordinaire :

I am confused. Are you telling me that the Belkin usb adapter did not install correctly?

Customer:

Perhaps that is the problem. I do not know. My desktop system would not recognize it however. So, I do not know which side of the fence the problem is on.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer:

I should add that I'm not running Windows 7.

Networking Extraordinaire :

- Click Start Button
- Click Run
- Type: devmgmt.msc
- Hit Enter
- Click the plus sign next to Network Adapters

Which listings are below the Network Adapter heading?

Customer:

None of the above as I recall.

Customer:

none of the above as I recall

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, please complete those steps again.

Networking Extraordinaire :

On that same window, do you see any device anywhere that has a yellow exclamation point next to it?

Customer:

I've not had time to get back to that point in time. Was trying to do so just now but took a wrong turn. I'm not a computer geek, just simply a geek.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, no problem... take your time

Customer:

The Verizon tech walked me through a diagnosis earlier today. I'm not sure I can reconstruct the path. Right now I'm a very tired 70 year old man and I have trouble remembering lists of information and procedures of any kind. I don't remember anything yellow, however. I'll try again.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Thankyou

Networking Extraordinaire :

I am not asking you to remember anything or any procedure.

Please, just follow the instructions I posted.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Here they are again:
- Click Start Button
- Click Run
- Type: devmgmt.msc
- Hit Enter

Customer:

Thank you. But I don't know how to get to any Netword Adapter heading to even see a list to even begin to respond you your question. I go to Start, then connect to and two options pop up--one to a wireless 2 connection and another to a show all connections. When I click on the wireless connection 2 I get no such list as your showing above.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, my 2nd step was to click RUN, not Connect.

Networking Extraordinaire :

But please, disregard those instructions.

Customer:

OK

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do you see the wireless icon next to the clock (bottom right of the screen)?

Customer:

Yes. It has a little red x on the bottom of it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

Right click that wireless icon and choose "View Available Wireless Networks" in the menu that comes up

Customer:

OK

Networking Extraordinaire :

On the new window, which wireless signals do you see?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Customer:

No signals just a message that says "no wireless networds were found in range." Sorry for the delay but I could not cut a past so you could see the rest of the message.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

That means that the wireless hotspot is not turned on the Galaxy

Networking Extraordinaire :

Are you sure that it is turned on?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Earlier, you said that it was.

Customer:

My galaxy window states that "3G Mobile Hotspont activated"

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

But your computer does not see it?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Right click that wireless icon and choose "View Available Wireless Networks" in the menu that comes up.

In the window that comes up, click the REFRESH signals link

Customer:

Right, my computer does not see it

Customer:

Sorry, but I see no such link on my galaxy 3G Mobile window

Networking Extraordinaire :

You are doing that on the computer.

Networking Extraordinaire :

On the computer:

Customer:

Perhaps we should terminate. Don't want to waste your time. Seems to be going no where and I cannot afford to spend an arm and a leg on this.

Customer:

But, thank you for trying!

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok...

Networking Extraordinaire :

I am not sure I understand.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do you wish to end communication?

Networking Extraordinaire :

You may click the Accept button now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you for your time.

Customer:

Yes. I think we better do so. I doubt if we will solve the problem at this time. Thank you

Jason, Network Technician
Experience: Years of experience and education.