D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)

My iPhone Settings say I have no Wi-Fi. How do I go about restoring

My iPhone Settings say I have no Wi-Fi. How do I go about restoring my WiFi connection?
I have tried resetting Network setting, and just the network settings without success.
My iPod works OK with WiFi!
XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Networking
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

when you say, it says you have no wifi.. Can it not see any wifi connections at all?

Or does it just no longer connect?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In Settings it says "No Wi-Fi" in light lettering.
I know Wi-Fi is available because it works with my iPod
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 3 years ago.
lets try this as a first step

A note about how we work.. It may only take one solution to solve this, it may take several. I will stick with you till this is resolved. No matter how many attempts it takes, you will only be charged once, unless you start a new question. Also, please save your feedback till the end of the process.

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.

Then.. turn the phone off and on. Can it see wireless networks now?
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay.

You will need to back up your iphone.

( make a backup of all apps and settings using itunes)

And then.. do a hard reset on the iphone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did all that before I first contacted you, but I will do it again now.

I suspect that the aerial in the iPhone is no longer working - hence the fact that I can pick up WiFi using the iPOd , but not with the iPhone. The iPhone did automatically connect to the WiFi but then it cut out on me. This happened a couple of times.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When you say "do a hard reset" do you mean "Set up as a new iPhone" rather than "restore from the back-up of: Frank's iPhone" (to use the words used in iTunes).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have now "set up as a new iPhone". Still does not recognise the WiFi.
I still suspect the aerial/receiver.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 3 years ago.
this is what i mean by hard reset.

http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone

Once finished.. and before you use itunes to restore your apps songs, contacts, etc.

try to connect to wireless again.. Can it see anything on the iphone at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still no connection
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 3 years ago.
The wireless adapter on your iphone must be blown if it cant see any networks now.

The only thing left to do.. and theres a good chance this wont work either..

Is to upgrade the firmware on your iphone.

what version of iphone do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have an iPhone 3G
Version 4.2.1 (SC148)
Model MB496X
Ser No 88908P29Y7K
Modem Firmware 05.15.04
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 3 years ago.
Hmmm..
you already have the newest IOS update for the iphone 3g..

So we cant update the firmware..

My suggestion. If you have insurance on the phone. Turn it in..

If your available for an upgrade.. do so.. The wireless is broken in the phone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your help.