Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Technician with years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I get the error "Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity

I get the error "Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues" but all the other machines in the apt can connect just fine. This is the 3rd time this has happened (Dell 1545, Windows 7, 64 bit) and I reinstalled Windows the other times it happens. It seems like it happens every 90 days or so.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like you may have gotten a windows update that didn't install properly and caused the problem.
Click on start and in the search box type restore.
Then click on system restore in the list.
Choose to restore to an earlier date.
Then choose a date at least one day or more before the problem started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JS2348

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's restarting... while I wait for that, there's one more thing I noticed. The machine created a new wireless network name right before you answered. Our network is called "Carly and Kim" and it's WEP protected. When I opened the wireless networks, there was a new one called "Carly and Kim 2" that was unprotected. It said I was connected, but I couldn't open any web pages.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
That may be your guest network it may say it is unprotected but if you try to connect to it you wont be able to do anything on the internet which is why you could not open any webpages. To be 100% sure that is what it is I would need to know the router model number however, as well as if any other computers are also seeing carly and kim 2?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the broken machine sees carly and kim 2, but not the actual carly and kim. other machines only see actual carly and kim. router is linksys wrt54gl v1.1
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok click on start and then in the search box type network.
Then click on network and sharing center.
Click on manage wireless networks on the left.
Then click on the 2 connection so it is highlighted.
Then at the top click on remove.
Restart the computer and try connecting again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still won't work. i even uninstalled the silverlight update and silverlight itself just to see.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
When you did the system restore did you get an error?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just the broadband modem one when trying to connect. no error otherwise. just seems like every time this happens, it's when i've left the computer on and watching a netflix. thought maybe silverlight could have been the issue. in the past i googled the problem and did all those DOS entries that were suggested, and nothing. i really don't want to reinstall windows AGAIN.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
How close are you to the router? What is the exact error you are getting when trying to connect?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can get to the router, but i reset it last time and that didn't work. the exact error is "Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues." The last time this happened, I took the machine to the local library to access their WiFi and I couldn't connect to that. I don't remember what that error was, but it was different. I've also tried plugging the lan right into the comp and that won't work either.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
when you plug the lan in and try to connect do you get an error?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it says investigate router or broadband modem issues
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me the service tag number off of the laptop with the problem please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HTF69L1
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
OK let's try reinstalling the driver.
Click on start and then type device manager into the search box and press enter.
Then expand network adapters.
Right click on the wireless adapter and then click on uninstall.
Then restart the computer.
Next download this (with the web browser): Click Here
Then save it onto a usb flash drive, a cd or something else and instal it on the laptop.
Once installed restart the laptop again and after restarting try to connect.

JS2348

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sill didn't work. now the error is "no internet access."
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
No internet access means it is connected to the router but the rouyter is not allowing it through. This usually happens if the password XXXXX the network was put in wrong for example. Please double check the password XXXXX make sure you used the correct one.

it means the feed roller has failed and needs to be replaced.
Reaplcing this part however can sometimes cost more than replacing the machine itself.

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click Accept”.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back is appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your time.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome and have a wonderful day