Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

I have windstream modem and it has recently started to drop

I have windstream modem and it has recently started to drop off line. Makes it difficult to play Xbox. Is there an update on firmware I should be using
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What's your router brand and model? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Speedstream 4200
SIMENS
OK, thank you. Your internet connection may be slow.

1- Please click here -----> http://www.speedtest.net/

2- Then click "Begin Test". Do not click any other button or ad. Just click "Begin Test"

3- Let me know the Ping, "Download speed" and "Upload Speed" results

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Download speed 3.05
Upload Speed 0.62
The upload speed of 0.62 kbps is too slow for live gaming. Is that the speed you should get with the internet plan you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not Sure
Windstream says we should buy their router because the modem isn't compatiable with E1000
Right

I think its something else?
Are you connected directly to the modem by an Ethernet cable? Also, the upload speed of 0.62 kbps is too slow for live gaming without dubs. font.f1 { font: 12px 'Lucida Grande'; color: rgb(0, 0, 0
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are connected through DSL and the connection goes form modem to router then to computer. Wireless is the actually problem.
OK, what's your wireless router brand and model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

linksys E1000
Cisco
Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "linksys" or "Cisco" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

Then please follow the steps below from your wireless computer with Windows XP:
1- Click Start, then Control Panel

2- Double click on "Network Connections"

3- Right click your "Wireless Network Connection" and select "View Available Wireless Networks"

4- Now you will see a window with a list of network names. Select your wireless network name ("Cisco") and click "Connect"

5- IF you are prompted to enter a network password, enter the word password XXXXX lowercase.

6- Then try to connect with the XBOX also. Does it work better now?

7- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Went though all steps that you wrote. It did not work. I think something else is not working. I'll contact linksys Monday and see if they have an answer
OK, thank you for letting me know. Have a great weekend!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cleaned up router from all previous setting, reset to factory specifications. Reset Modem and started up both devices. They are now working.

I ordered new modem and router from windstream, a combo system that is built together.

Your help was not helpful

Thanks

I will not Accept Answer
OK. So I told you to reset the router, then you reset it, and then "they are now working", but my help was not helpful? I am confused...

Have a great week!