Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified.
23822421

The WiFi on my printer stopped working. Laptop is still connected

The WiFi on my printer stopped working. Laptop is still connected to the router and is fine. How to get the printer back online?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Please click Start, then right click "Computer" and select Properties to find out the version.

Also, what printer brand and model do you have?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

My OS is Win 7 Home Premium. 64 Bit. My printer is a Dell V515W, actually a Lexmark.

Let's try this FIRST:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try to print now.

IF NO LUCK, please follow the steps below from the computer:
1- Turn on your printer

2- On Windows 7, Click Start

3- Click "Devices and Printers"

4- Click "Add a printer"

5- Click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

6- Select your printer and click "Next"

7- Click Next

8- Click Next

9- Click Next

10- Click Finish

11- Wait 2 minutes and try to print

12- Does it work?

13- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

14- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Not only did the fix not work, but I had a disaster that was not your fault. When I pulled the plug out of the modem because it had no switch, the port on the modem fell apart into many pieces. So then I had nothing, no internet, no modem and no phone. Today I was able to exchange the modem for a new one and just got back online a few minutes ago. I only got home an hour ago and have not had time to follow your second set of instructions. I will do so now and will let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Lenore

No problem Lenore, just take your time. You can also reply tomorrow if you don't have time today.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry John, but after following all of your instructions to "Add A Printer" it did not work. The WiFi light was flashing orange the whole time and it still is. Just does not work at all. If you have anything more to add please let me know.

Thank You!

OK, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure the printer is connected with a USB cable to your computer.
    THEN click the Windows Start button on the computer

2. Click All Programs.

3. Click Dell Printers.

4. Click Dell Printer Home.

5. Click the Settings tab.

6. Click Wireless setup utility.

7. The User Account Control window may appear, if so click Continue.
8. On the Add a printer to your wireless network screen, click Continue.

9. The printer looks for nearby wireless networks and displays them.

10. Click on your Wireless network NAME, then click Continue.

11. Enter your wireless network password, then click Continue

12. Review and make sure the settings are correct (if not click back to make the changes), then click Continue.

13. The Allow Dell Software window may appear, if so read the instructions, write down any notes needed, then click OK.

14. When instructed remove the USB cable from the computer and printer.

15. Click Finish.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I carefully followed your instructions, but the connection failed. I received a very lengthy notice that says that the printer may not be on the same wireless network as the computer. It also gives instructions of how to determine the SSIDs of both, I will follow those instructions tomorrow and let you know the result. I can't do any more tonight because it is almost midnight and I have to be up very early in the morning.

Thank you for your help.

The SSID is just the name of your wireless network. (What network name you connect to when you add a new computer or a new wireless device to your network?)

And in order to find your wireless network password (also called WEP password XXXXX WPA password) please follow the steps below from your computer with WIndows 7:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- NOW, make sure you select "View by: LARGE ICONS" on the upper right corner.

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Manage Wireless Networks" on the left

6- Double click your wireless network name

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

9- Now find your password XXXXX to "Network security key"

Now you need to configure your printer with the SSID (the name of your network) and this password (found in step 9)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John,

I printed out the instructions that I got from my computer when I followed your instructions. It was almost midnite when I received the instructions last night and that was too late to do anything. I had too much work today and also had workmen in my home and could not work on the printer issue. I will try to find time tomorrow or Sunday to deal with the printer and I will let you know what happens. I want more than anything to get the printer working wirelessly again. It weighs 9 lbs and it's too heavy for me to keep draging it over to the printer.

No problem at all, thank you for letting me know :-)

Have a great weekend! Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I meant that my laptop is too heavy for me to keep dragging it over to the printer. Sorry. I'm really tired. I definitely will get back to you.

Thank you and enjoy the weekend.

Lenore

Have a great weekend you too Smile Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

I know the name of my wireless network. But when I type ipconfig I get the default gateway which the instructions say is the router. It is 4 sets of numbers. There is nothing in the instructions that tells me how to find out what network the printer is on. Can you please help me with that? Or can it be that the WiFi on my printer is just dead?

Thank you, Lenore

OK, you now the name of your wireless network name. But please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7 to verify the wireless network password. Then enter this password XXXXX the printer when prompted.

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you so much for your answer. It sounds like it just may be the key to solving my problem. I just got home and it's very late. I will follow your instructions tomorrow morning and let you know what happens.

Thanks again, Lenore

Thank you Lenore!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

I carefully followed all nine steps. But when I tried to configure my printer I clcked on the Continue button the button turned gray but no new screen appeared.

What to do now?

Lenore

OK, have you found the password XXXXX step 9?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, John. I followed the password XXXXX But I already knew my password. Then the printer stopped working. It took a while, but when I used a different USB port the printer started working again. I will try all the steps again and then let you know what happens.

Lenore

OK, thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The computer found the printer, but the WiFi on the printer is still not operable. It just keeps flashing orange as it has done when I first wrote to you. If you have any idea about how to get it working please let me know.

Thank you, Lenore

OK, please follow the steps below:

2. Click All Programs.

3. Click Dell Printers.

4. Click Dell Printer Home.

5. Click the Settings tab.

6. Click Wireless setup utility.

11. Enter your wireless network password, then click Continue (this is the password XXXXX found previously from the computer with Windows 7)

15. Click Finish.

16. Then add the printer from the computer. Does it work fine now?

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

My problem was not solved, but you put so much time and effort into my problem that I will accept your next answer so that you can get paid. I just want to ask one more question if that's OK with you.

The WiFi on my printer does not work although it used to. The printer is only 8 months old and still under warantee. Dell told me that the warantee is only for hardware and that my problem with the printer is software. They wanted to charge me $129 to fix the WiFi with a guarantee of 3 days! That is a total outrage in and of itself. Doubly so considering that I bought the printer from them for $79.95 and they are still selling the same printer on their website for the same price!!! Needless to say I will not honor their offer for the 3 day fix. I just want to ask you if you think that the WiFi malfunction really is a software problem? It's obvious that they have no confidence in their fix and that's why the 3 day only guarantee. Who ever heard of such a thing??? Several years ago Dell was sued by NY State for ripping off their customers. The state won and Dell had to pay 4.5 million that was used to repay their NY customers.

Lenore

Hello Lenore, that's hard to say. If they try to configure the printer and it works, then it was a software issue. If they try to configure the printer but they can't solve the issue, then it is a hardware issue and the printer should be replaced. But certainly $129 is a lot. Instead of paying $129 I would buy a new wireless printer from BestBuy or Walmart for less than $129, if the new printer doesn't work, then you always can take it back to the store and get a refund. Does it make sense?

Click here to see HP wireless printers from $69 -----> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=2376308684520953547& id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=hp+wireless&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q687020776972656c657373~~f403||243530202d202439392e3939~~nf349||4850&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Thank you

John Cappucci

Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified.