Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience:  CISCO Certified Networking Engineer
30970729

The modem light is blinking orange. How do I get it to s

The modem light is blinking orange. How do I get it to stop?????????
Category: Networking
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

ITPeter :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

ITPeter :

What is the make and model of your modem?

ITPeter :

Which light is blinking on your modem?

ITPeter :

Have you tried resetting it yet?

Customer:

My apologies. It was the modem light on my router that is blinking. The router is a Belkin F5D8236-4 v2. All laptops in the home network can access the internet now, but the stupid modem light on the router keeps blinking. What's it trying to do. I've tried to get on to the Belkin website to turn the firewall off in case that was the problem, but I haven't been able to access the website. I've put in the ip address but my browser won't open the page. So in a nutshell, the router hasn't stopped any of the network computers accessing the internet, but I would like to know if there's something I should be doing.

ITPeter :

If the modem light on your Belkin F5D8236-4 router keeps blinking, it normally means that there is a problem with your router's configuration. Also, rarely, it can be an issue with WAN port/modem port on the router or the ethernet cable connecting the modem to router or finally, your modem may not be working properly.

ITPeter :

To check your router's configuration:

1.Connect a laptop to your router.
2.On the laptop, open the router page by typing 192.168.2.1 in the address bar of a browser window.
3.Under Internet Settings, change the connection type as Dynamic.
4.On the far left column, click on "MAC address" under Internet WAN.
5.Click on clone and apply changes and finally check Internet status
6.If internet status > Not connected, do a network power cycle (turn the router off for 15 seconds, then turn it on again)

Now, you should see the lights properly lit on the router again.

Customer:

Nothing changed. I ended up having to get an IT man out to sort the problem out for me - which he did. Everything is now working fine. My problem is really that I haven't got a clue about computers.

ITPeter :

Ok, glad to hear it is all sorted now.

ITPeter :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience: CISCO Certified Networking Engineer