Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

How to connect ipad2 to an hp wifi printer

Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell us the model of your wireless printer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hp photo smart d 110
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

As you are using an HP D110 we will first have to perform a firmware update on the printer so that it will then support the Apple airprint application.

To do this can you go to the printer and then press the setup button (looks like a little wrench) and then select Web then Automatic Updates and then select Check for Product Updates and let it then download and install the latest software for the printer.

Once it has updated itself can you then power up your iPad and then try to see if you can then see your D110 and then print to it.

Let me know how you get on

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tied with the printer ,but it says that it has the latest update
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Great,

Can you go to the printer setting pane and then can you manually set the printer to a static IP address and when prompted can you enter the following:-

IPAddress 192.168.1.240

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1

Once that is done and saved can you power cycle the printer then wait 2 minutes and see if your iPad will see the printer.

Also bear in mind that you may have to resetup your PC's or Mac's to see the printer again.

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still having the not connected problem even though I repeated the procedue so many time
Ore Kate your help .
Thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Were you able to set the printer to the static IP address I listed above?

If so can you tell me if your Computers will print to it or if they are having issues also?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried settings and the wi fi then I followed the u mentioned above.
The network is recognized but the printer is not either I call by phone may be we can solve the issue.
As i told b4 my device is ipad2
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok

Will your computers see the printer?

The reason I ask is so that I know the printer is on your network so we can tehn look at the iPad

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the problem the iPad is not accepting the printer setting b cause it is saying fail to connect
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Do your computers see the Printer and can they print to it?

Please answer this one question for me so I can know if the printer is seen on your network so that I know it is an issue with the iPad or the printers network connection

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have MacBook pro,hp,and Dell and I can print in all
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Great,

That tells me it is an issue with the networking not the printers network interface

On one of your Windows machines can you click Start and then can you type CMD in the run box then hit enter to open a DOS window, Or if you use Vista or 7 can you click start then type cmd into the search box at the bottom of the start menu then hit enter to open the DOS window.

When the window opens can you type ipconfig then hit enter and make a note of the Default Gateway address which should be something like 192.168.1.1

Once you have that can you let me know what it is?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ip 192.168.1.1.114
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Great,

Can you now type ping 192.168.1.240 and hit enter then tell me what it says?

Does it say timed out or replied?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Request time-out 4times
Ping statistics
Packet sent =4,received =0, lost=4 (100% lost)
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Did you set the static IP on the printer like I posted earlier?

If not can you tell me what happened when you tried?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I errors before and I will do again ,I will keep updated

Thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

The reason I ask is that the Printer has to use a static IP address before the iPad will see it and use it for Airprint so setting a static IP is crucial to get it all working cleanly.

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft