magtech
magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.

What do I need to be able to order up a movie from Netflix

What do I need to be able to order up a movie from Netflix to my Internet Ready HDTV from my PC via router (what type of router??)?
Category: Networking
Expert:  magtech replied 3 years ago.

magtech : Hello and thanks for asking your question on Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you.
Customer:

Hello.

Customer:

Hi

magtech : If your tv is internet ready, meaning it comes with Netflix and other streaming services already built-in, then you do not need your pc to order movies. What you will need is to establish a connection from your tv to your home network either wired or wireless through your router. Second, you will need to establish a Netflix account; that you can do from your computer.
Customer:

Yes. I intentionally bought a Sharp Aquos Net tv.

Customer:

Are you saying I just need an ethernet wire to the router to the tv?

Customer:

And what type of router do I need? A dual band wireless N router?

magtech : Yes, exactly. Or if you have wireless capability in the tv as well you could use a wireless connection. But wired Ethernet is always the preferred method.w
Customer:

I don't have a Wifi tv ... it just says that it has Aquos Net Link for Netflix. I just need to know what type of router do I need to link to the Ethernet on the router to the Ethernet connection on the tv.

Customer:

The tv is listed as "internet ready."

Customer:

Our laptops are wireless. What we have is an old G brand wireless router.

Customer:

I understand we need an N band router. Yes?

magtech : Any brand name Consumer grade router is fine. Pretty much all of them come with wireless anyway, evenif the tv does not have that capability. Netgear N300 is one that I install for customers and have good results.
Customer:

And I don't need anything in between the tv and the router , like Netflix's "box."?

Customer:

Okay, well, I guess I'm ready to go forward then. Thanks for the info. I sort of had it in my mind as you said, but wanted to verify it with someone who knows their stuff.

magtech : N is much better. It has the speed todo video streaming that G may stumble with. But that only applies for wireless. If you will do wired Ethernet to the tv, your g router is fine.
Customer:

My router is OLD and we lose signal about 4 times a day so I have to buy a new one anyways.

Customer:

Thanks again.

magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.