Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router Model # WRT54G2V1 has

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Model # WRT54G2V1
has stopped working
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you.

I assume that right now you are connected directly to your ATT modem. Can you please do the following for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig and hit the Enter key.
  4. Right click anywhere on the data and choose Select All.
  5. Hit the Enter key to copy all of the data.
  6. Paste the data into your reply to me. If you are having trouble pasting, please just let me know what is listed for the IP address and the Default Gateway.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:4b25:4b7a::4b25:4b7a

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
waiting for your reply
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for the delay. Can you look for the IPv4 information instead? It should be on the same screen. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a916:38e7:bf06:f382%11

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 75.37.75.122

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.

OK those numbers look good. I would therefore like you to reset the router per these instructions and see if it starts working again. Let me know if you get stuck. Thanks!

1. Reset your router by pressing and holding the RESET button (small button on the back) on the back of the unit down for 30 seconds. Upon release, the unit will reboot.
  2. Plug your computer into any of the available LAN or Computer ports on the router.
  3. Plug your Internet modem into the WAN/Internet port on the router.
  4. Unplug the power to both your Internet modem and your router.
  5. Plug your Internet modem back in and wait for it to sync (usually about 60 seconds).
  6. Plug your router back in and wait for it to sync (usually about 30 seconds).
  7. See if you can get on the Internet. If you can then please continue. If you can't then plug your computer directly into your modem again and come back here to let me know!
  8. Open up your Internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  9. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
  10. Please click the Wireless tab on the router setup screen.
  11. Change the network name (SSID) to whatever you would like your network to be called.
  12. Click Save Settings.
  13. Click Wireless Security sub-tab.
  14. Change Security mode to WPAPersonal (may also say WPA Pre-Shared Key).
  15. Type a password XXXXX the WPA Shared key blank (may also be labeled Passphrase). This will be the password XXXXX use to get onto your network.
  16. Click Save Settings.
  17. At this point you should be able to join your new wireless network and access the Internet.

Erik B., Network Admin
Experience: 8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP