Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

My computer had a virus, everything was wiped out, starting

Customer Question

My computer had a virus, everything was wiped out, starting all over again, trying to put linksys router back onto computer, have passphrase and all other info but I can't remember my password. What can I do to reset the password XXXXX reload?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "linksys" or "Cisco" and no password will be asked (we can setup a password after all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows Vista:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "Classic View" on the left

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Connect to a Network" (on the left)

6- You will see a list of wireless networks, please select your network name ("linksys" or "Cisco") and click "Connect" (If you don't see any network name listed, please let me know)

7- IF you are prompted to enter a network password, enter the word password in lowercase.

8- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

9- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No network name listed.
1- OK. Please click Start, then Control Panel

2- Now click "Network and Internet"

3- Then click "Network and Sharing Center"

4- And then click "Manage network connections"

What do you see listed there ? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I see "local area connection" and "wireless network connection with red X, not connected"

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
should I put the start up CD into the computer for linksys?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello..... are you still there?