amak808
amak808, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  10 Yrs Exp. Windows Server/Client; Cisco Wireless, Security, Voice, Design, R/S
58464816

I cant connect my Asus laptop to the wireless router. All of

Customer Question

I cant connect my Asus laptop to the wireless router. All of a sudden I no longer have a connection after several months of no issues. Also, I can connect my HP laptop to the wireless router. I dont get it.
Category: Networking
Expert:  amak808 replied 3 years ago.

amak808 :

Hello, my name is Andy and I will be assisting you.

Do you get disconnected when attempting to connect or does it say you are connected but with limited access? Also, please tell me you operating system so we can verify some settings and have a better view of the issue.

Also, do you have access to your wireless router and please provide me with the model. Thanks!

Customer :

I can't connect at all after 2 months of being connected with no issues. I have a Linksys 160WRTN.

Customer :

My OS is Windows 7 hOME pREMIUM

Customer :

My computer that I am tring to connect into the wireless network is Asus nOTEBOOK K52

Customer :

On the Asus notebook that I am trying to connect into the Wireless network, the Wireless Network connection looks strong, however it says not connected. The icon next to it is the LAN connection and it says network cable unplugged.

Customer :

Andy- where did ya go?

Customer :

My Asus notebook adapter model is Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

amak808 :

Thanks, the network cable unplugged is indicating your wired side so meaning you have no cables plugged in. Since we are looking at wireless, lets check our current wireless setting first, please go to:

Start Icon > Search bar > type in: ncpa.cpl <enter> , please tell me what your wireless connection status is: Any disabled or unidentified network?

Customer :

I have 2 network connections:1. LAN connection says Network cable unpugged JMicron PCI Express Gigabyte Ethernet and 2.Wireless Network connection not connected

Customer :

they both have red x's next to them

amak808 :

Thanks, please right click to the Wireless Network Connection and go to properties, do you see a tab called 'wireless'. Also, when you previously access the wireless, do you enter a password? If so, do you know of the password? Thanks!

Customer :

I don't see the wireless tab when I right click on either icon

Customer :

When I right click on the wireless network connection and click properties, i see a network and sharing tab

amak808 :

Ok, can you open up the wireless utility you used to connect and tell me what utility that is. If you see your wireless network on the list, what security mode is it using?

Customer :

I dont understand?

Customer :

I dont know where to find the wireless utility

amak808 :

Do you see a signal bar icon on the bottom right hand corner?

Customer :

YES

amak808 :

Can you please double click on it, it should open up the wireless utility. Please tell me what you are using.

Customer :

do i click open network and sharing center?

Customer :

i am using linksys

Customer :

when i click on manage wireless networks, noe appear

Customer :

non appear

amak808 :

May I ask when you previously go into the wireless network, do you have to input a password?

Customer :

should i manually connect to a wireless network?

Customer :

I have an encrption key

Customer :

make that a security key

Customer :

when i got the computer and turned it on, it automatically found my wireless network and connected me. Now I have lost me connection

amak808 :

Yes, encryption key? Is that the password you use to get in to the wireless network before?

amak808 :

When you see your wireless network and attempt to click on it, what happens? Do you have a prompt for password?

Customer :

no, it says " no connection available" and "tROUBLE SHOOT"

Customer :

It also sdays Open Network and sharing center

amak808 :

Lets take a step back. When you click on the wireless signal bar on the bottom of your screen, you see your wireless network?

If so, please tell me the network name. When you click on the wireless network, does it attempt to connect?

Customer :

No and No

Customer :

it does not recognize my wireless network

amak808 :

I see, do you see 'Other networks'? with a strong bar signal?

Customer :

That is the issue. My HP laptop recognizes the wireless network, but the Sus norebook does not

Customer :

the asus notebook does not

Customer :

No - there are no network connections

Customer :

"no connections are available"

amak808 :

Try go to Start Icon > All programs > and see if there is another wireless utility, at times, vendor installs their own version of wireless utility which disables the windows default one.

Customer :

There are several programs under Asus utility

Customer :

asus Power4gear hybrid is one program

amak808 :

Please tell me what they are, and see if one of them are for wireless

amak808 :

Any atheros utility?

Customer :

searching for "atheros" in the computer

Customer :

aTHEROS APPEARS IN THE C:\ DEVLIST

amak808 :

Well, lets attempt to add a profile in the 'Manage Wireless Network' after you go into the Network and Sharing Center

amak808 :

I see, that might not be it.

amak808 :

We will manually create a network profile, do you know of your network name and security key for access?

Customer :

yes - it is network2 and i have the encryption

Customer :

how do i do this

Customer :

ok im there

Customer :

is the security type WEP?

amak808 :

Actually easist to check your HP laptop, double click on the wireless utility of the HP and it should state the wireless security. We will need to match that, if we set a higher security than what is supported, it is not going to connect

amak808 :

It is most likely WPA or WPA2

Customer :

Its WEP. Okay i added the network profile now what?

amak808 :

Check connect even if the network is not broadcasting

Customer :

how do i check connect?

amak808 :

Did you exit out from your profile?

Customer :

got it. I just checked the box

Customer :

connect automatically is also checked . is that ok?

amak808 :

Yes.

Customer :

im exited. now what?

amak808 :

Lets ok all the way out and see if it connects

Customer :

reboot?

amak808 :

After we try this first, go to start icon > search bar > ncpa.cpl <enter>

amak808 :

Right click the wireless network connection and disable it, the right click and renable

Customer :

The new network does not appear. The 2 old networks do appear, meaning nothing has changed

amak808 :

Wait 2 minutes and see if it connects. Also, go to Start icon > search bar > type in: services.msc

amak808 :

See if WZCSVC or windows zero configuration has been started

Customer :

neither have been started

amak808 :

Can we right click and stat it? Its it on manual or automatic

amak808 :

Start

Customer :

RIGHT CLICK WHAT?

Customer :

neither appears in the list, so i cant start it

amak808 :

I am checking if Asus uses a specific utility. In the meantime can you also look at your all programs, seems your windows default wireless utility is not the one controlling your connection.

amak808 :

Can you tell me the model of your Asus?

Customer :

Should I stop WLANSVC which provides the logic to configure, discover, connect to or disconnect from a wireless LAN

Customer :

ASUS notebook K52/K62F series

Customer :

64 bit OS

amak808 :

Are there any wireless switching button on the Asus? Can you try Fn+F2?

Customer :

yES- I JUST TURNED WIRELESS ON AND NOW IT WORKS. wAS THAT THROUGH YOUR HELP?

Customer :

I WENT INTO THE WINDOWS MOBILITY CENTER AND TURNED WIRELESS ON. tHAT MUST HAVE DONE IT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

amak808 :

Glad to hear! Thank you for using justanswer.com

amak808 :

Let me know should there be other questions. Thanks!

Customer :

tHANKS - YOUR A BIG HELP

amak808 :

If you are satisfy with my answer, please let me feedback of what you think! Much appreciated!

amak808 :

Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with my assistance. Thanks!