Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

Belkin router N1, modem light flashing amber when computer

Customer Question

Belkin router N1, modem light flashing amber when computer connected, steady light when computer not connected.
Speedtouch modem works when computer connected diretly to modem but no internet connection via router, ISP says everything ok, tried power down cycle loop, modem bridged, username and password XXXXX in router, my fingers are sore from googling this problem...

pls help med
RGDS
Beatrice
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "BELKIN" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

Then please follow the steps below from your wireless computer with Windows XP:
1- Click Start, then Control Panel

2- Double click on "Network Connections"

3- Right click your "Wireless Network Connection" and select "View Available Wireless Networks"

4- Now you will see a window with a list of network names. Select your wireless network name ("BELKIN") and click "Connect"

5- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

6- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Works fine, man!

Thing is though that encryption is gone, my network is unprotected...I need WPA2 in order to receive 100mbs, can I set this or do I have to contact my ISP?

Rgds

Bea

That's great!, Please don't forget to click the ACCEPT button Smile. Please follow the steps below to configure WPA2:

1- Click here ---> 192.168.2.1

2- Leave the password XXXXX and click Submit

3- Once logged in, click Security on the left under "Wireless

4- Select “WPA2” mode from the drop-down list next to "Security Mode"

5- Enter a passphrase and click Generate.

6- Then click APPLY Changes

7- IMPORTANT ---> You will lose connection after configuring the password. Please turn off/turn on the wireless router, WAIT 5 MINUTES, then connect to your wireless network, it will ask you the new password.

If you don't get internet, then turn off everything (computers, router, modem, etc) for 5 minutes. Thank you

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Awesome!!!

One last thing, hoe do I change the name of my network?

You should see the name under "WIreless" then "Basic Settings", next to SSID:

Also, when you change the SSID and save it you may lose connection. Please turn off/turn on the wireless router, WAIT 5 MINUTES, then connect to your wireless network, it will ask you the new password.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Connection is ok everything works fine, password XXXXX but the Wifi is renaned to some default setting "Belkin wireless bla bla" I want it to be named "S&Mnet" to get my neighbours curios.. can I change the name or do I have to make it allover again?
Please follow the steps below to change the name:

1- Click here ---> 192.168.2.1

3- Once logged in, click "Channel and SSID" on the left under "Wireless"

4- Enter the new name next to "SSID>"

5- Click "Apply Changes"

Thank you

John Cappucci

Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Superfly!
LaughingCoolLaughing That's great!. Please don't forget to feedback me here:
http://www.justanswer.com/feedback/leave-feedback.aspx

Positive feedback is greatly appreciated and very important to us. Also, ANY tip is very appreciated.

Thank you

John Cappucci