Jason
Jason, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I just connected a new router and modem and now my laptop will

I just connected a new router and modem and now my laptop will not connect. My laptop will find the router but will not connect. I have four other laptops that have had no issues with connecting. Friends use their laptops on my router when they visit. I am only having issues with one laptop. This laptop is only 3 years old.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Greetings,

Make note of the exact type of encryption used (Example: WPA-PSK / AES)

- Click the Start button > Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center
- Click the Manage Wireless Networks link
- Highlight and remove the wireless profiles there currently
- Click the Add button
- Enter the network name
- Click the Advanced option button
- Manually select the level of encryption and security mode, then enter your password
- Connect to the new signal

Please, let me know if the issue is not fixed. You can do so by clicking the gray button that says "Reply to your Expert".

If and only if you are satisfied with my help, you may click the Accept button.
- Even if you have a subscription or trial membership, you must click the Accept button before I am paid for my work.

Thank you

--> Once you click the Accept button, your deposit will be released and I will be paid for my time and effort.
--> If the problem is not resolved, please notify me so I can continue to work with you.
--> If you are satisfied, I ask that you please leave Positive Feedback for me once you click the Accept button.
--> Any bonus is tremendously appreciated.

You may bookmark the following link: http://theextraordinaire.com In the future, if you have a question and would prefer to work with me, please visit that site and ask your questions there.
Jason, Network Technician
Experience: Years of experience and education.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The laptop in question is not available to me right now. I will work on your solution this evening and let you know how it goes. I believe I have tried your solution but may have missed a step. So we will see.... Thank you for the quick response.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the update.

Please, update me once you are able to complete the steps.

I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I attempted your solution but still have the same problem. I had tried this before with the same result. The laptop finds the modem just fine but will only connect as a local connection and not on the internet. I use this laptop at many other wifi locations with no issues. Do you have any other suggestions. I think this is a much more difficult issue. I know that may have been a starting point but I think we need to dig much deeper into a technical solution. Computer tech stuff that I have no knowledge of.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
I understand that those steps may be considered 'simple'. You have to try the simplest solutions first.

Please, reconnect to the signal and perform the steps below:
- Click Start Button
- Type: CMD
- Hit Enter
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ipconfig
- Press Enter
- What is shown for the IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway?
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ping 4.2.2.3
- What does it say, replies or request timed outs?
- In the blackbox, type the following and press Enter: ping red.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is shown for the:

IP Address: 192.168.2.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

What does it say, replies or request timed outs?

pinging 4.2.2.3 with 32 bits of data

request timed out

request timed out

request timed out

reply from 192.168.2.4 destination host unreachable

ping statistics for 4.2.2.3

Packets: sent = 4, received = 1, lost = 3 (75% loss)

What does it say, replies or request time outs?

ping request could not find host red.com. Please check the name and try again.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Ok, it sounds like you are running a firewall on the computer (Norton, Symantec, Zone Alarm, etc).

Please, disable that firewall.

Also do the following steps:

- Click Start Button
- Click Run
- Type: devmgmt.msc
- Hit Enter
- Click the plus sign next to Network Adapters
- Right click the Wireless Adapter's Icon
- Choose Uninstall. Uninstall Device.
- Right click another item in the list and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes"
- Choose to automatically install the device (click next > next > Finish)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Disabled Norton Smart Firewall. How do I know if I have other firewalls on my system? It is an HP laptop.

Followed instructions to uninstall wireless adapter. Everything went as you described except when I clicked "scan for hardware changes" the system automatically scanned and reinstalled the device. I was never prompted to (click next > next > finish). I am sure that is not a big deal.

The wireless adapter is: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g wifi adapter. Could this be corrupted and maybe I just need a new wireless adapter / card?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
It does not sound like you will need a new card.

Once you disabled the firewall and completed those steps, were you able to connect to the Internet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I disconnected from the modem and then reconnect and have the same result. Local Only is the response. I can not connect to the internet.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
But other computers plugged into the router with a cable or wireless can get online, right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I have a desktop computer directly connected and multiple of devices.

XBox

Wii

3 other laptops

multiple phones

All are connected to the internet using the same router. That is why I can't figure it out. I worked just fine on the old router before it died. I bought a new one the same day the other one died and every other system connected to the internet but this one laptop. Again this same laptop connects to any other wifi system just fine. Work, other friends houses, hotels, etc...

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Please, perform the steps below on a computer that is working and connected to the router:

- Click Start Button
- Type: CMD
- Hit Enter
- Press Enter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IP Address: 192.168.2.8

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.04

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Ok, because you are pulling a good IP address and all on the problem computer. It probably is not a problem with the wireless card.

It still sounds like an issue with the firewall.

Please, perform the steps below and reconnect to the signal & test the connection.

- Click the Start button > Programs > Accessories
- Right click COMMAND LINE and choose RUN AS Administrator
- In the black window type the following: NETSH int ip reset resetlog.txt
- Press Enter
- In the black window type the following: NETSH FIREWALL RESET
- Press Enter
- In the black window type the following: netsh winsock reset catalog
- Press Enter
- In the black window type the following: netsh advfirewall reset
- Press Enter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Followed steps as instructed. Everything seemed to respond appropriately. Norton Firewall prompted me twice to not allow the Windows Firewall to be activated. So I didn't activate the Windows Firewall. Each time I declined to active the Windows Firewall, Norton reactived it's Firewall. Each time this happened I then deactived the Norton Firewall and now have just rebooted the computer. I will let you know what happens after the reboot.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rebooted and still only have a Local Only connection.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Ok.

The problem is more than likely with your Norton Firewall.

You can uninstall and reinstall the firewall, then test.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know how to just uninstall and then reinstall the norton firewall. My norton just expired last week. I don't mind completely removing the program. Do you suggest this?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I highly suggest that you uninstall the program.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Norton Uninstalled. Rebooted. Still Local Only. I should tell you that the internet icon in the lower right hand corner continually changes the status from identifing to unidentified. This info is on the same line as the Belkin.5BDA line that shows under Currently Connected To ...... It is currently showing unidentified... (belkin.5BDA)
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
You said that it was working before you installed the new router?

- Click Start Button > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.
- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.

Now reconnect to the new signal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried this when I couldn't connect the first time after installing the new router. I just tried it again to a restore point back in Dec. Probably shouldn't have though. I am now realizing that more time has passed than I thought. I installed the new modem and router back on Nov. 21st. I don't have any restore points earlier than Dec. 26th. Are we running out of options?

Kevin

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
There are always more options.

Which level of encryption are you using on the new router (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc)?

I assume that you are using WPA2 or WPA because WEP always works.

Are you running any additional security features on the router, such as Mac Filtering / Mac Access Control?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WPA2. No additional security features on the router. Could the router be bad? I have thought about buying a new router again just to check but I can imagine that is the issue. I have too many other products connected.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Being that others can connect, tells me that the problem is not "with" the router.

But the problem laptop may have issues with the type of encryption.

Change the level of encryption to XXXXX and reconnect.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Changed the encryption and tried to reconnect. Wouldn't connect even to a local only connection. Just gave me the option of connecting to another network or trying again. Same result every time I tried. I even tried changing it to a WEP connection but obviously didn't work.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
The next step is to update the drivers for your wireless card. If that doesn't work, then you may have to reinstall windows.

What is the brand and model of your laptop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HP Pavilion dv6700.

By the way the system restore didn't work. Something wrong with the restore point. Said nothing was changed and restore failed.

We can continue this tomorrow if you would like? I think you are on PST as I am.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
- Click the Start button
- Type winver
- Press Enter

Which version of Windows Vista are you running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Version 6.0
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
It will say Windows Vista Premium, Ultimate, Home, etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but this might be a stupid question. Which laptop do you want me to do this on? I can't get on the internet on the laptop in question. I could direct connect it to the modem (tomorrow) and try it that way?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Connect the problem laptop to the modem and download the links.

I will stand by while you do that. I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your time and help tonight.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am now working off the laptop with the issues. I currently have it connected to the internet through the router via ethernet. I could not get it to connect directly from the modem. I downloaded both attachments and rebooted. Still have same issue. Local Only access with no internet. Still says "unidentified". I don't know if I can test the wireless while I am connected via ethernet. I did disconnect the ethernet before rebooting so I could check the wireless status though.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Disconnect the ethernet, reboot, then reconnect to the wireless signal. Then complete the steps below, please:

- Click Start Button
- Type: CMD
- Hit Enter
- Press Enter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IP Address: 192.168.2.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Pinging 4.2.2.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out

reply from 192.168.2.4: destination host unreachable

request timed out

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.3:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss)

Ping request could not find host red.com. Please check the name and try again.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
It still appears that you have a firewall running or the wireless card has failed.

As of right now, I would either suggest reinstalling windows or installing another wireless card or usb device.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by another USB device? Is there a wireless card you recommend? I have never changed out any hardware on my computers. I am assuming the wireless card is hardware? I am pretty sure there are not any firewalls running. I think you are probably right about the wireless card failing but why would it work on all other wireless networks?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Being that it works on other networks, makes me believe that you do not need a new device.

You will have to reinstall windows on this problem laptop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I no longer have my Windows disk. Do you know if I can contact Microsoft for a new software code for downloading? Or is Windows not downloadable? I appreciate all of your help on this. Once I get Windows reinstalled I will update you on my "success"! I hope!

I know this is a different question for a different laptop but if you are able to answer I would appreciate it. I have a newer laptop that the fan constantly runs in high speed mode and is very loud. What can I do if anything?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
You cannot download the windows disk from Microsoft.

You can however, purchase a Windows' CD.

You can download and install a program to control the speed of the laptop's fan. What is the brand and model of that laptop and which operating system are you running on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

So you don't think Microsoft would help me on this one? Can I install any Window's CD on the laptop or does it have to be the same version of what is on it now. Just trying to save money.

Even though we have not come to a conclusion or fix for my problem, I can still click "Accept Answer" at any time, correct? What happens if I still have more questions once I reinstall Microsoft?

Fan Issue:

HP Pavilion DV7

Windows Vista Home Premium

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
You can install a different version of Windows on the laptop that you wish.

Yes, you can click the Accept button at any time.

If you have more questions that relate to this problem later, you can contact me and we will continue communication.

You can control the speed of the fans a little bit by configuring the bios of your laptop.
- Turn the laptop off, then back on.
- Start pressing the shortcut key to get into bios setup (Normally it is F2 or F10 )
- Navigate to the fan control in the bios and you can make changes there.

Keep in mind that the fans run high when it recognizes that it needs to due to heat. If the fans are forced to run slower, that may cause the board to overheat and destroy the hardware.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Now that we are done, you may click the Accept button.

Thank you