Molinari, PC Technician
Experience:  A+ Certified, expert with networking, especially media networking.

I cannot connect my kindle to linksys router. it does not

I cannot connect my kindle to linksys router. it does not recognize my password. Kindle support is no help; says it is a router or computer problem
Is it saying the password XXXXX XXXXX? Did you forget the wireless network password?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. It says that it is "unable to connect to Wi-Fi network." I have tried to use the network key without success, The device recognizes the router. I have been able to fet on Wi-Fi at a local coffee shop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am confused. Did I answer your most recent question? Do you need anything more?
I was thinking maybe the password XXXXX wrong...
Here's how to check the wireless password...

Before accessing the router’s web-based setup page, make sure the router is powered on and the computer is wired to one of the Ethernet ports on the router (1, 2, 3 or 4 ).
View Full Image

Accessing the Router’s Web-Based Setup Page

Step 1:
Open a web browser such as Internet Explorer.

Step 2:
Go to the Address bar and enter your router’s IP address ("" is the default IP of most Linksys routers) then press [Enter].

View Full Image
Step 3:

A new window will prompt for a User name and Password. Leave the User name field blank then enter your router’s password ("admin" is the default password), then click OK.

When the router’s web-based, setup page appears, click Wireless and select Wireless Security.

View Full Image

On this page you will see the Security Mode. If your security mode is set to WEP (64bit or 128 bit) you will have four sets of keys available. To known which key to use look for the Default Transmit (Tx) Key, If your default transmit key is set to 1, then you will use the key in Network key 1 to connect to the wireless network. Now if your Security mode is set to WPA (Personal/Pres-Shared Key/PSK) what's inside the WPA-shared key or Pass phrase / Personal Key box is the network key for your wireless network.

Let me know if you run into any trouble...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope, it didn't work. I found the Default Transmit Key, which was the password had been using. Still will not connect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to go back to work. I need to terminate this conversation.
Ok, check and make sure therearen't more than one network with the same name as well....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all four had different passwords.
There were four listed on the router page?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not on my computer at this time, however when I got onto the security mode it had 4(i'm pretty sure) keys. All were different. Key No. 1 was the password XXXXX had been using and it was the one selected.
Seems kind of odd...
You may as well try them all...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O.K. I will do so when I return home.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What ever we tried, has not worked. When I tried to use a different key the router just would not reset. It took me quite a while just to get i back up.
None of the passwords worked???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didn't get that far. When I tried to set to Key No.2 the router would not "reset"; that is the router screen "said' that it would be back in 8 seconds and never came back on. I then totally shut down rebooted etc. and went back in and rest the key back to No.1.

Does any of this make sense? Anyway, if you think it wise, I will try to use a different key no. for the password. I also got on the internet and found the router drivers etc. Would it be adviseable to download drivers and/or firmware? One alternative would be to use the reset function and start anew. What are your thoughts? Maybe I should chuck the router and get a new/replacement? BTW I will "Accept Answer" after your response even if nothing works.

Ok, you said there were 4 passwords you saw, try each one of them on the kindle and leave the router alone...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried your suggestion with no luck Then out of desperation I turned everything off(except the Linksys), reset the Linksys, re-entered the password, reselected the wireless security, turned on the Kindle re-entered the password XXXXX(which was the same, even after I "re" generated the WEP) and the damn thing connected to the WI-Fi.

Now, however, my computer has to run through the ethernet connection(unless I go direct from modem to computer); it does not seem to connect with out it.

If you wish, you can let me know your thoughts. I have selected "Accept Answer" because of your efforts