Network Tech
Network Tech, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  LAN Admin and Engineering Certification UCSC
30013869

Im trying to connect our brother MFC-685CW wireless printer

Customer Question

I'm trying to connect our brother MFC-685CW wireless printer to our wireless network. (I use a MAC, by the way). The printer recognizes the wireless network, but shows an error message when it tries to connect. HELP!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Network Tech replied 6 years ago.

Richard :

Hello and Thank You for allowing me assist you with your question today! What is the error message you are receiving? Please reply back with the error message. Thank you!

JACUSTOMER-8mtfy9sc- :

Connecting WLAN

JACUSTOMER-8mtfy9sc- :

Then Correction Error, Press OK

JACUSTOMER-8mtfy9sc- :

It doesn't give a specific error message. It sure would be helpful if it did.

Richard :

You will need to know three things to connect 1) WiFi network name 2) Security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and passphrase. Do you have all three?

JACUSTOMER-8mtfy9sc- :

I know 1) network name 2) security type (WPA or WPA2) and 3) SECURITY CODE. I just went through all the prompts providing this info. It gave me the message that I was connected! I got excited, however when I try to print, the laptop tells me the Brother is offline.

Richard :

Remove the printer and re-add on Printers and Faxes. Can you print from any other computers with this printer?

JACUSTOMER-8mtfy9sc- :

Nothing worked. No, I can't print from any computer. I finally gave up, boxed the Brother up, went to the store and bought an HP, hooked it up and now everything is working fine. Thanks for your help.

Richard :

Ok, I'm glad you got it solved. Thank you for the update!