Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

I am installing my new Roku Player NTV250. I use Dish TV.

I am installing my new Roku Player NTV250. I use Dish TV. Can I connect the Roku player to the Dish receiver box? It has the appropriate connections including HDMI.

Thanks,
Bill McBride

Kevin :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Kevin :

Are you trying to set up a network connection wtih the Roku or just the video connection?

Kevin :

Are you currently online?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Kevin, I want to show Netflix movies on my big screen TV. I have my laptop with fast DSL and I bought a N router and have it hooked up to the DSL modem and lap top. The Dish TV receiver and the big TV both have the video cable receptacles; logistically it would be a lot easier to connect to the Dish receiver (electric outlet right there).

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

What should I do.

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Thanks.

Kevin :

Okay - I think I understand what you are trying to do...can you tell me the model number of the dish receiver too please?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

VIP722K DVR

Kevin :

Thank you...

Kevin :

The HDMI ports on the DVR and the Roku are Output only - unfortunately, this means the Roku cannot be connected to the DVR. The connection will need to be directly to the television.

Kevin :

Is there an extra HDMI port on your tv by chance?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

There is one. I guess that will work.

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

What if I don't plug in the HDMI?

Kevin :

You don't have to - you can use the composite ports, but those still need to go to the tv:

Full Size Image

The catch to that is it won't give the same quality of video that the HDMI port will. All of the video ports on the back of the DVR (composite, componenet and HDMI) are output only...the connection from the Roku does need to go to the tv.

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Just checked, there is NOT an HDMI available at the TV, plus no way to access an elec outlet. (There's a built in with cabling that won't accomodate the Roku..........

Kevin :

What is the brand and model number of the tv?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Sharp 37" digital

Kevin :

Do you see a specific model number by chance?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

LC-37D43U Found the manual.

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Not actually the manual but something we downloaded couple of years ago. It says there are two HDMI inputs.

Kevin :

You have a couple of HDMI connections here - are they on your tv?

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Got them but the Roku cable doesn't fit, must be a newer model.

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

But it does look like there's a place to plug in the Roku!

Kevin :

Is the cable one that came with the Roku?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Now I can't find the outlet. The TV is fastened to the wall.

Kevin :

That makes it a bit difficult...

HDM

Kevin :

HDMI cables haven't changed - is there a chance the cable may have been backwards when trying to connect it to the tv?

JACUSTOMER-iyd5s1b1- :

Just tough to get back in there. I think I'm going to have to get the guy who installed the TV over here to do this, I was hoping it would be simple! Thanks for your help, signing off.

Kevin :

I understand - thank you and good luck!