Bernie, Network Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

This email address is part of a reserved domain such as,

This email address is part of a reserved domain such as,, or Please enter a different email address.

trying to register my new email address but I get above message - domain is - help?
Hi there, welcome to JustAnswer.

Are you trying to create a new hotmail account for example. What are you signing up for right now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No but I am using Windows Live Mail and also want to use Windows Family Safety and need to sign in for these - previously used but have new broadband provider
I see - You have a different broadband provider...and your email address has changed correct?

Try logging in with your current email into those programs - what message does it give you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The email or password XXXXX XXXXX please try again and when I try to reset the password XXXXX get a message telling me it is a protected domain
I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused:

Has your email address changed when you switched providers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see, what you use to log into the Windows Family safety - that is called your Windows Live ID - and we should be able to change it.

Please log in here with your old email address and password:

Does that let you in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes and I have tried to change my email address from there and it tells me I can't use this email address in my Windows Live id
I see - please go here:

and pick yes, then try to fill out your new email address, any luck there?

Forgive me if I'm taking you back to places you might have already tried - I'm just trying to figure this out on my side.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We're sorry, but accounts ending in are issued and managed by the domain owner.
To create a Windows Live ID, please try a different email address. If you don't have one, you can get a free Windows Live Mail account.

Try signing in with that new email address and your password (the one you're trying to create a new account for) here:

This should prompt you to create a new account

If still no joy:

Go here and setup a new windows live id using your new email address:

Did you see my last answer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried both the suggestions and neither works - is this a case of me trying the impossible?
Sorry for my delay- I had to log off for a bit.

It can certainly be frustrating as you know, Windows Live IDs are very sensitive...

Can you tell me what message you got after trying each, same message?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1) the email/password XXXXX is incorrect

2) this email is part of a reserved domain......................

Go back to this link:

and click the Or Get A Windows Live Email Address link right below the first box, and make up a whole new email address/password XXXXX account, and see if it will let you register that. Then use these credentials to sign into your Windows Mail and other Windows programs.

See if that works,