Jason
Jason, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

I purchased a Netgear Extender to bridge my wireless router

I purchased a Netgear Extender to bridge my wireless router to my blue ray receiver so I can obtain Netflix instant DVD. However, I can't seem to figure out how to make it work.

Can you help me?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

How far a long in the process of the installation did you get?

You must first configure the extender to connect and repeat the router's signal.

What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

Thank you.

Customer :

Netgear WN2000RPT

Customer :

Sorry - Linksys

Networking Extraordinaire :

What is the full model of the Netgear Extender?

Customer :

Wireless router is Linksys Model wrt54g v5

Networking Extraordinaire :

thank you

Networking Extraordinaire :

Customer :

Not sure how to answer you. I haven't figured out how to configure the extender to the wireless router if that is necessary. I've only plugged in the extender in various locations in the house and turned it on. Obviously, nothing has changed in how we receive netflix instant movies.

Networking Extraordinaire :

No, you must first plug the extender into your existing router, then run the software CD.

Customer :

When you say "plug the extender into your existing router" what exactly do you mean. There isn't any wires with the extender except one that will plug into a wall socket.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Sorry, typo. Disregard that last post.

Networking Extraordinaire :

- First plug the power into the extender
- Wait 2 minutes
- On a wireless computer, connect to the NETGEAR_EXT signal
- Open a new Internet Browser window
- It will forward you automatically to the configuration page for the extender

Follow the instructions on the following webpages, you will have to enter the Network name and any password XXXXX is setup on the router.

Networking Extraordinaire :

After that, it will be setup and ready to go.

Customer :

How do I connect to the NETGEAR_EXT signal?????

Networking Extraordinaire :

Just as you would connect to any wireless signal.

- Click the wireless icon near the clock and choose Connect to a Network
- Connect to the Netgear_Ext signal name

Customer :

OK. Thanks.

Networking Extraordinaire :

No problem.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do you need any further assistance today? If not, please click the Accept button.

Customer :

I would like to wait until I see if I can connect to netgear_ext. Just take a minute.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Oh of course, thank you.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Are you having any issues?

Customer :

Yes, I still haven't been able to get netgear_ext to connect to the internet.

Networking Extraordinaire :

What does that mean?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Have you been able to connect to the Netgear_Ext wireless signal?

Customer :

Obviously, I don't understand what is required here. I did connect to netgear_ext wireless signal, but my network connection page on my computer says it won't connect to the internet?

Networking Extraordinaire :

That is correct. You have to complete the configuration steps on the extender before you will be 'online'

Customer :

How do I do that?????

Networking Extraordinaire :

- Open a new internet browser page
- It will forward you to a new configuration page
- Fill out the information for your wireless signal there (you will enter the network name and any password XXXXX you may have setup).
- Save the settings, then reconnect to your normal signal.

Customer :

OK - I'll try.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do ALL of the steps below and you will be setup:

- Open a new internet browser page

If you stop halfway through those steps, you are not finished and you will not be online.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Thank you. I will continue to stand by.

Customer :

I get to the very last step in the Smart Wizard guide and get a message that says the computer cannot connect to www.mywifieext.net. Thus, I never get to the final step of "review settings."

Networking Extraordinaire :

Did you have any problems entering the information?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Does your network use any wireless encryption? Which level (wpa, wpa2, wep, etc)?

Customer :

I have no idea. Don't even know exactly what you're talking about.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do you know the name of your wireless signal?

Customer :

Linksys?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Are you asking?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Is that the name of the signal that you connect to?

Networking Extraordinaire :

On a computer that is connected to the router, perform the steps below:
- Go to http://192.168.1.1
Leave the username blank
The default password XXXXX admin
- Click the Wireless link (Your network name is XXXXX XXXXX what is it?)
- Click the Wireless security link (What is chosen?)

Customer :

I give up. I'll pay you, but I'm not getting anywhere with this.

Jason, Network Technician
Experience: Years of experience and education.