Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Vizio TV with internet apps will not connect to the internet

my 47" vizio tv with internet apps will not connect to the internet. It keeps saying that my   password   is incorrect and that it is unable to connect.

can you tell us the make and model of your wireless router?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Netgear WGR614v4

The first thing to try is to verify you have the correct wireless password.

To check your password can you go to the machine that can get online through your router can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address into the address bar in the following format then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When you get to the login can you try to login with the username admin and the password password or the username admin and 1234 for the password.

Once logged in to the router can you choose Wireless setup on the left and then copy down your wireless security key which should be listed.

If it is not listed so you can read it can you change the password for your router and click apply then wait 2 minutes and try to connect using the password you just setup.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've already done all of that. I have my password....My laptop connnects fine wirelessly too. It's just the Vizio TV won't connect to the internet. It recognizes my wireless connection, but when I put the password, it says "Unable to connect"

Can you tell us what type of security is setup on your router?

Do you know if it is WEP, WPA, WPA2 ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you change your security in the router to WPA2- Personal or WPA2 and then save your changes and let me know if the TV will now connect to the Internet.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only options under the security settings are: Disable, WEP, or WPA-PSK

In that case can you first try updating the firmware on your router to the newest version by downloading the file and following the directions here

Once it is upgraded can you then see if you can choose WPA2 and let me know ( i am not sure if the v4 supports WPA2)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that last night... It is all up to date... Where can I view the current firmware to make sure it worked?

If you log into the router it will have a firmware version on the status screen.

If it is up to date and dows not give you WPA2 as an option cna you change to WEP 64bit then enter a 10 digit number into the key 1 box (such as your phone number with area code) and save your changes then let me know if the TV will now connect or if you get an error.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The firmware was up to date. So, I changed to a WEP and that worked!!!! YAY! Thank you so much!!!

The issue is that some devices have a major issue with WPA so you need to use WPA2 or WEP to get around it.