Jason
Jason, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

Why cant I get my MacBook to recognized my preferred network

Customer Question

Why can't I get my MacBook to recognized my preferred network? I cannot get online! I just had my Macbook serviced and was able to get online yesterday after consulting d-link support. it worked fine last pm but I am having the same problem today.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

You mentioned that there is a "default" network listed? The Dlink's default wireless signal name is: default

If you press the reset button on the router, it will reset the signal name to default with no password.

You can verify and change this by following the steps below:

Follow the instructions below on a computer that is plugged into the router:
- Go to http://192.168.0.1
Leave the username blank
The default password XXXXX: default
- Click the Wireless button on the left side

On that screen all of your wireless information will be displayed.

Please, update me on your status if you have any problems or questions.

If you are satisfied with my help, please click the Accept button and I will in effect be awarded credit from this site for helping you. In any case, I wish you a great day.

Thank you // Peace.

Customer :

My preferred network is protected with a password. I was able to access that network last night. There are other laptops in the family that use that network. I do not want to use an unprotected default network. I want to use our families protected network.

Customer :

As I said, under that advanced settings under preferred network our family's protected network is listed, but for some reason, my laptop will not link to it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Please, perform the steps that I outlined above. I would like to verify that all the information that you have about your router is correct, before we begin.

Customer :

OK

Networking Extraordinaire :

Thank you greatly.

Customer :

I cannot get the username blank. It says admin or user. It won't accept the password. I also cannot get the d-link to reset. It

Networking Extraordinaire :

What is the full model name of the Dlink router?

Customer :

D-link 2XR. It has a small pinhole in the back to reset. I tried to insert a paperclip to no avail.

Networking Extraordinaire :

What is the Model name? The 2xr is not a model.

Customer :

Wireless 180G MIMO DI-634 M

Networking Extraordinaire :

By default the password XXXXX XXXXX left blank

Networking Extraordinaire :

Does that let you login

Customer :

Yes.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, great.

Please, click the Wireless link on the left hand side.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Does the network name & password XXXXX up with what you have down for your records?

Customer :

There is a lot of gobbledygook after MAC address. Nothing that make sense.

Networking Extraordinaire :

please explain

Networking Extraordinaire :

- Click on the Wireless button on the left side of the screen.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do you have the correct information for the Network Name (SSID) and Password?

Customer :

It has information about a MAC address and an IP address. Nothing that matches a network name or password.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Please, click the WIRELESS button

Networking Extraordinaire :

You are not currently, on the wireless page

Customer :

Finally a screen with SSID labeled default.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, change the SSID to your choice

- For Security type, choose WPA PERSONAL
- Enter a passcode and click the Apply settings button

The passcode will be your network password

Networking Extraordinaire :

It appears that your router was reset.

Networking Extraordinaire :

A reset it happen either by pressing the reset button or if there is a power surge and area.

Customer :

OK. I will try it. Then how do I make sure my MACbook is recognizing the router? Do I reboot?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Once you change the network name and password XXXXX you must click the save settings button. Then wait 30 seconds and see if you can see the signal now.

Customer :

It now says user account cannot reconfigure, so I need to start over using admin.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Does the router configuration page say that?

Customer :

I need to reboot so I may lose you. I will log back on in a minute.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, I will stand by.

Customer :

The new default network with new passcode is listed and my macbook has just connected to the internet. Hooray! I am going to shut it down and see if it will still recognize the network when I restart it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok great.

Networking Extraordinaire :

I will continue to stand by.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Do you have good news to report?

Customer :

Bummer. I am once again having trouble getting on line. It asked for a passcode for the default network and then said my computer was unable to join because I entered an incorrect password XXXXX network name or I chose the wrong type of wireless security. I am about to go nuts here!

Customer :

Safari can't find the server!!!

Networking Extraordinaire :

Did you change the network name? So it is not called Default anymore?

Customer :

No, it is called default. Oh wait, the computer decided to get back online. I am going to try to restart one more time to make sure it doesn't have anymore "burps".

Networking Extraordinaire :

ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

It may have just taken a moment.

Networking Extraordinaire :

I will stand by

Customer :

Sorry about this. I am a computer illiterate.

Networking Extraordinaire :

No need to apologize.

Customer :

I just want the #$%@&*!!! thing to work.

Networking Extraordinaire :

I understand your feeling ;)

Networking Extraordinaire :

I have been in your situation an uncountable number of times.

Networking Extraordinaire :

It would be nice if things, just worked.

Customer :

Once again, very slow to tap into the network. It keeps searching and searching..... It never used to take this long.

Networking Extraordinaire :

When you turn it on for the first time, I always suggest leaving it alone for a good minute or so

Customer :

The computer is on the default network with the new passcode and it supposedly is connected. Finally!! It is slower than hell!

Networking Extraordinaire :

Very good

Networking Extraordinaire :

Very good that it is online.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer :

It continues to load like it is stuck. It still isn't right!!

Networking Extraordinaire :

Close Safari, and re-open it

Customer :

I appreciated your help. It works but is interminably slow. It's not quite right.

Customer :

It should be lightening fast. Still searching at present.

Networking Extraordinaire :

- Go to http://192.168.0.1
- Click the Wireless link

Networking Extraordinaire :

- Change the Channel to channel 11 and click the Apply Settings button

Test the speed once more.

Customer :

It won't let me change the channel to 11. It is stuck on 6.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, uncheck "AUTO" and do it.

Customer :

Already did that. Now it works. It says for 11-G turbo mode, channel should be 6.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Disable the Turbo G mode please.

Customer :

At least the computer likes that speed better because it is working. Once again, I will restart to see if everything's A-OK.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Good

Customer :

How do I disable that?

Networking Extraordinaire :

I am glad you chose to restart a few times.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Is the computer restarting?

Customer :

Super G without Turbo? Is that what I should choose?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Yes

Customer :

I had to reboot the router.

Networking Extraordinaire :

ok

Customer :

The MACbook still won't connect. How frustrating!!

Networking Extraordinaire :

How long has it been up?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Let's go back to the router page and change the Turbo Settings.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Set the SUPER G MODE to Disabled and save the settings

Customer :

When I go to system preferences, under network, it goes to bluetooth. Then I get on Airport, click on default, the passcode is correct. I still can't connect. What am I doing wrong? The computer should recognize the network immediately without my having to prompt it every time!

Networking Extraordinaire :

What is the status of the wireless connection?

Customer :

Now I can't get the Network page off the screen. It won't allow me to choose default any longer.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer :

Airport is on but now will not connect to any network!!

Networking Extraordinaire :

Please, go back to the wireless configuration webpage and change the name of the wireless signal from default to something else.

Also, set the super G mode to disabled and save all the settings

Customer :

Rebooting again!!

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer :

I want to stick needles in my eyes. How about you?

Networking Extraordinaire :

I feel your stress

Customer :

Restarted the MAC. Still can't get online. Why is airport showing no IP address now?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Because it is not connected.

Customer :

Now it is showing a connection.

Customer :

Still unsuccessful. No internet. I think I will go watch the rest of the Packers/Falcons game. I am really frustrated. Thanks for your help. I will have to contact D-Link on Monday.

Networking Extraordinaire :

You can click the Accept button now and leave any appropriate feed back.