networkwiz
networkwiz, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  MCA (Masters of Computer Application)
47701907

Kindle does not detect my home wireless network

Kindle does not detect my home wireless network?
Category: Networking
Expert:  networkwiz replied 3 years ago.

networkwiz :

Welcome to the justanswer chat support, please let me know when you are ready to chat.

Customer :

ready

networkwiz :

what is the model number of the wifi router you have at home and is this Kindle 1 2 or 3

networkwiz :

how far is the distance the router and the kindle

Customer :

wifi router is a cisco Linksys WRT300N, and it is a brand new Kindle received this week. I am downstairs and the router is upstairs, My computer is connected wirelessly

networkwiz :

please follow the steps

networkwiz :

o connect your kindle to a Wi-Fi network:
Press the Home button, then press the Menu button.

Customer :

done

networkwiz :

Navigate to "Settings" by moving the 5-way controller down, then press the 5-way controller to select.
Select "view" next to "Wi-Fi Settings"

networkwiz :

it will display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks.

networkwiz :

You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. Kindle automatically scans for available Wi-Fi networks at periodic intervals.

Customer :

Currently it detects 1 network, that is not mine and locked

Customer :

this kindle is not the 3g model, as I live in Alaska and we do not have coverage

networkwiz :

if that is not yours then the distance may be too much from your router

networkwiz :

do you know the network name of your router

Customer :

I have tried it in the same room as the router without success, also turning the router off/on as well as the modem.

networkwiz :

you need to be in 35 feet radius of your cisco router

Customer :

well within that range

networkwiz :

ok let me start from the begining

networkwiz :

do you have a computer conneted to this router?

Customer :

yes, the one I am chatting to you on

Customer :

same location as the kindle

Customer :

It is not connected physically, only by wi-fi

networkwiz :

that is ok

networkwiz :

please follow these steps

networkwiz :

Open a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari.
Type in http://192.168.1.1 into the Address bar and press Enter on your keyboard.
Do not type www.

networkwiz :

what you get?

Customer :

my router ip is 192.168.2.1 during installation linksys recommends changing it from the default, my router page is open

networkwiz :

are you in the router console?

Customer :

yes

networkwiz :

click Wireless and select Wireless Security.

networkwiz :

do you see the ssid name?

networkwiz :

and the passphase

Customer :

security mode is currently disabled

networkwiz :

enable it

Customer :

When I make a change I will lose my connection, as I live in an isolated area, I prefer to have an open connection.

networkwiz :

ok fine

networkwiz :

slid the power button for 10 seconds and then release it

networkwiz :

turn off the kindle

Customer :

Security should not make a difference to finding a network.

Customer :

Kindle is now powered down

networkwiz :

that is correct

Customer :

it is off

networkwiz :

turn on the kindle now

Customer :

(0) wi-fi Networks

networkwiz :

rescan for available networks for few times on the kindle

Customer :

Still nothing, I have been been doing this for 2 evenings.

Customer :

Today I went into the library and used their hot spot, so I know the device works

networkwiz :

if you change your location does it detect any other network ouside your house

networkwiz :

ok i got it

networkwiz :

will you be comfortable resetting the router

networkwiz :

i will walk you through

Customer :

I occationally get a very weak signal from a closed network.

Customer :

The router works fine.

Customer :

what is your theory

networkwiz :

may be some virtual ports are blocked on the router through which the kindle is unable to detect the router

networkwiz :

we will secure it if you want however resetting the router will not effect anything

Customer :

I have not configured any port forwarding, norport range forwarding, and no post range triggering

Customer :

I have not enabled DMZ and have a limit of 5 devices set on the router.

networkwiz :

fine but if we reset the router to factory default i believe we can move further

networkwiz :

if you want we can set the wpa2 security to secure your connection as well.

Customer :

Will you still be here after I lose my connection and reconfigure the computer?

networkwiz :

yes

networkwiz :

all you have to do is relogin to justanswer.com and i will be connected back with you

networkwiz :

Try to connect the compuer direclty to the router an then reset your router to factory defaults, use a pen or paperclip to press and hold the Reset button for approximately 10 seconds until the Test light blinks. The router power should be turned on. Release the button and wait for the router to reboot.

Customer :

Kindle now recognizes the network.

networkwiz :

good

networkwiz :

now set the security

networkwiz :

should i walk you through

Customer :

Which type WEP, WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Personal, WPA Enterprise, or RADIUS

networkwiz :

set wpa

networkwiz :

set WPA2 Personal

Customer :

(sic) WPA2 Enterprise

Customer :

TKIP or AES?

networkwiz :

Select TKIP on WPA Algorithms.

Enter your desired WPA Key on the WPA Shared Key field such as “MySecretKey.” This will serve as your network key

whenever you connect to your wireless network

Click Save settings.

networkwiz :

If all your question was answered to your satisfaction you may hit the accept button to reward the time we spent

networkwiz :

Please ask in case you need further support or have any questions.

Experience: MCA (Masters of Computer Application)