Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

trying to connect kindle to wi-fi, it wont accept my password...advise

trying to connect kindle to wi-fi, it wont accept my password...advise or help to change the password XXXXX I can start over?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
What model router are you using?
Do you use WEP or WPA for your routers security?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ssid dante

SER # XXXXX

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately that does not help. I need the routers model number. Something like Linksys WRT54G for example.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wgr614v10
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Go to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
The default username is XXXXX XXXXX password XXXXX XXXXX 1234 or password
Once logged in, click Wireless Settings
Your network key (passphrase) will be under "Security Options".
That is what you need to enter into the kindle. Try doing this while standing close to the router with the kindle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Soory, it didnot work.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Which part did not work exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried to connect and wifi woruld not accept default password.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Oh ok that means the default username and password XXXXX changed. If you know what they may be try that. If not we need to reset the router and then reconfigure it. If you do not know what they may be what internet provider do you use?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
windstream
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok please bookmark or favorite this page in case you loose me.
Then to reset the router back to factory look at the pack.
There is a small pin hole reset button hold it down for at least 60 seconds.
Once done Go to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
Once logged in, click Wireless Settings
Change the SSID back to Dante.
Then under securtity options choose WEP for the security type.
Type in a passphrase and click on generate.
Then write down the passphrase and what is listed next to key 1.
Then save the settings and try connecting the kindle in what was next to key 1.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey.. tried but help didn't work so far....rest net gear with pin, did try the defAULT STTING' NO CONNECT, DID GO IOFF FOR http//192.168.0.1, no connect! what next?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately that should have worked as the kindle needs the network key to connect and the steps I just gave you were to create a completely new one. Unfortunately that means I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please follow the steps below from your computer already connected to internet, and you will see the network password.

Click here ----->http://wikisend.com/download/967476

Then click "Download file"

Then click "Run" or "OPEN" when prompted. Otherwise click Save and save the file to your desktop, then double click it to run it.

And you will see your password XXXXX (under Key(HEX) and Key(Ascii), try both from the Kindle)

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, there was nothing @ the wikisend site wwhen I opened it.
I have clicked the link and I get the following page (see the picture below):

graphic

If you don't get the same, please try using a different internet browser like Firefox or Google Chrome.

Please keep me posted

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

when I get to the wikisend site, click to downloaad the file, click the run, there are no passwords there under key(hex and ascii). thanx for staying with me!

OK. What's your router brand and model?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
netgear, --model wgr614v10--ser# XXXXX
Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 30 seconds.

4- Then unplug it from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

Then please try to connect the Kindle to the "netgear" or "wireless" network.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, I was unable to connect. When it came to password XXXXX wasn't sure....I tried the netgear default of 1-2-3-4 and password XXXXX connecting! Been work with you guys for 3+ hours and haven't made the connection. Could we try walking thru using telephones?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
JOHN, am I still on your screen or am I lost in space ?
Have you tried my solution in order to reset the router with the reset button? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and my last response is what happened.

OK, when you try to connect to the "Wireless" or "Netgear" wireless network after the reset, are you still prompted to enter the network password?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Then the reset procedure didn't work. You need to press and hold the router's reset button for 30 seconds (while the router is turned on), then the router will not ask you to enter a network password. (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK). I am copying the procedure below:

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did everything, activated Kindle to connect, no prompt for network password..what next?
Is the Kindle working fine now? Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

Thank you for yourpatience. My kindle is working fine and I have ordered my first book!

Best wishes and have agreat day

That's great!. Please don't forget to click the ACCEPT button. Thank you :-)

John Cappucci
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.