Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  10 Years Experience, A+, Network +, MCSE
33460957

I have a T6520 Emachine and cant connect to the internet after

Customer Question

I have a T6520 Emachine and can't connect to the internet after a lightning strike. My cord is good and the computer says that my network adapter is working properly. We blew the gateway on the lightning strike and had to replace it and my computer was working fine before that. It doesn't seem to be having any other issues other than the connection problem. How do I pinpoint the problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Brian Kelly replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hi, my name's XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you.

XXXXX XXXXX :

A little network connectivity issue, eh?

Customer :

Hi Brian

Customer :

yep

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay, from what I gathered this PC is connected with a wire, not wirelessly, correct?

Customer :

right

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you know hot to find the IP address of the machine?

XXXXX XXXXX :

how

Customer :

tell me again plz

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay, let's hit the Windows key + R on your keyboard, and that should bring up your Run box.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Then type CMD and hit okay.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Let me know when you're there.

Customer :

did that earlier with CenturyLink and it didn't show up

Customer :

iconfig?

XXXXX XXXXX :

ipconfig

Customer :

sorry right

XXXXX XXXXX :

try it one more time and tell me what happens. . .

Customer :

ok

Customer :

it recognizes which port of the gateway it is in

Customer :

but no address comes up

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you at least get the heading for Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection?

Customer :

it says "Media Disconnected"

XXXXX XXXXX :

Ah. . . . . .

XXXXX XXXXX :

Indeed.

Customer :

yes on the heading

XXXXX XXXXX :

At your command prompt, type: ping 127.0.0.1 and hit enter.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Tell me what happens.

Customer :

in "run"?

Customer :

oh nevermind

Customer :

4 packets sent; 4 packets received

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay, well we at least know that your network adapter is being recognized then.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you by any change have an extra ethernet cable?

XXXXX XXXXX :

chance

Customer :

not that long of one

Customer :

only 3 foot ones

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay. Basically if it says Media Disconnected then, just as it sounds, it's not recognizing that there's a connection from the PC to any working network device.

XXXXX XXXXX :

The cable could be a possibility, if it somehow got fried.

Customer :

I tested it in the gateway

XXXXX XXXXX :

It worked

XXXXX XXXXX :

?

Customer :

the lights blinked

XXXXX XXXXX :

And you're not getting any blinking lights on the problem PC?

Customer :

nope

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are you going through a router?

Customer :

I did system restore back before the strike

Customer :

no router, just Westell gateway 7500

XXXXX XXXXX :

Well that will only resolve software issues. Usually lightning strikes destroy the physical hardware, if they do any damage.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Give me one second. . .

Customer :

ok

XXXXX XXXXX :

I'm guessing the PC you're on right now is connected to the same gateway, is that right?

Customer :

yes

XXXXX XXXXX :

From what I understand, you should have a total of four ethernet ports on the gateway, is that right?

Customer :

yes

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you have any open ports, let's try another port if you haven't already done that. Because it's possible one of the ports went bad.

Customer :

sorry but I tried all of that

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hmm, well that's about as far as I can take it without being there to physically put my hands on the machine. What I'm going to do is OPT OUT and return this question to the board so that some other experts can take a shot at it.

Customer :

ok--sorry