Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience:  Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist
40218039

how can I change the ip address of my netgear router I need

how can I change the ip address of my netgear router? I need the need this customers ip adresses to be in the 192.168.0.xxx range, instead of 192.168.1.xxx (A tech support guy said I needed to change the gateway of the router?)
help
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

From a computer on the network, open Internet Explorer, in the address bar, type in 192.168.1.1 and press enter.

Use the username of admin and the password XXXXX password

From there, go to the Advanced section and go to LAN Setup. Change the IP Address to 192.168.0.1 and then click Apply. Wait 30 seconds.

After the 30 seconds, unplug power to your modem and then unplug power to your router.

Plug the power back to your modem. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug the power back to your router. Wait 60 seconds.

Now see if that resolves your issue.

Update me on the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry,"192.168.1.1" does not exist or is not available.
Please try your search again in the box below.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, let see what the gateway is.

Go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

In the command prompt window, type in ipconfig and press enter.

Tell me the Default Gateway.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

192.168.1.254

I typed that into my browser, it asked me for a user name and password, but it didnt like... " username of admin and the password XXXXX password "

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the router must have a different password XXXXX up.

If you do not know the password, you will need to reset the router and reconfigure it.

Before continuing, do you have a Cable or DSL connection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dsl

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, please be sure that you can connect directly to the DSL modem before continuing. If your settings are set up in the Netgear router and we reset it, you will be without Internet connection. If your settings are set up in the DSL modem, then resetting the Netgear will not be a problem.

Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Internet/WAN port on your router (the cable that comes from the DSL modem) and connect it to your PC/laptop.

Unplug power to your modem.

See if you can get on the Internet. If so, go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Tell me the Default Gateway.

From here, reconnect the ethernet cable back to your router (as it was), and then unplug power to your modem and then unplug power to your router.

Update me on the result.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"If your settings are set up in the Netgear router and we reset it, you will be without Internet connection. If your settings are set up in the DSL modem, then resetting the Netgear will not be a problem."

you're worring me... i am connected directly to the router, along with one other computer, a printer, and the other device (An LED sign) with the fixed LED device.

If I lose my internet conection, I lose your help, and the customer is really pissed! So then what would i do?

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
That is the reason I have not told you to reset the router yet.

Please follow the following steps to verify connection.

Unplug power to your modem.

Tell me the Default Gateway.

Update me on the result.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry bout that! and sorry for the delay....

Yes did what you said step by step... I connected directly and the default gateway was 74.142.129.1

But... I just realized this is a cable modem! Sorry. Does that throw a kink into this plan? Hopefully not

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
If it is a cable modem, there is no problem with resetting the router.

With the power on, press and hold the reset button with a paper clip for 60 consecutive seconds (if you release early, start over) on the router.

After the 60 seconds, unplug power to your modem and then unplug power to your router.

Now, on a machine that is hardwired into your router, open Internet Explorer and type in 192.168.1.254 into the address bar and press enter.

You should get a prompt for username and password. Type in admin for the username and type in password for the password. Press enter.

Go to the Advanced section and go to LAN Setup. Change the IP Address to 192.168.0.254 and then click Apply. Wait 30 seconds.

If you need to configure your wireless settings, go to 192.168.0.254 and then the Wireless tab to reconfigure it there. Be sure to save the settings after you have finished.

Update me on the results.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

254 didn't work, but 192.168.1.4 did... it gave me the netgear smart wizard... did steps hit apply, and got.. "please do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and enter new ip in the browser in order to gain the GUI again if LAN IP subnet will be changed"

did that... i think it worked... give me a few minutes to check things out

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Interesting... No problem. Let me know how it works out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i can't access their wireless network??? it's asking for a password, and not taking it, any ideas? is there an easy way to reset any passwords, etc, while I am in here?
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
You will need to access the router (like you changed the IP address) and then go to the Wireless tab to either reconfigure or configure the wireless network.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i can go into wireless settings, and set security options to none, and hit apply, is that right?
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
That will set it to an unsecured network (no wireless key).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats what i thought, but when try connecting with my laptop, it asks for a security key?

so I set a WEP password.. the passphrase was dino22, and it generated a key... do have to enter the key as the password XXXXX log into the network?

PS

I know I'm getting my money's worth from you, and I appreciate your help very much

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Use the key that is selected (by default, usually Key 1).

P.S. It's my pleasure to assist you. Wink
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience: Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a bunch!!!!!!
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Happy New Year!