Networking Guru
Networking Guru, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  Professional Networking Guru, 3+ Years of Experience, Customer Oriented
35582090

I am trying to use Netflix and add a second computer to my

Customer Question

I am trying to use Netflix and add a second computer to my wireless account. It asked for my WPAkey and I on't know where to find it. Then my ID and password XXXXX not be accepted so I reset the router and now I cannot select another ID and password. Please help!!

Thanks,

Category: Networking
Expert:  Networking Guru replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

Let me know your router's make & model number.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Linksys WRT54G version 6

Follow the steps to configure your linksys wrt54g router,
  • Connect a Ethernet cable from your modem to your router's Internet port and Connect Ethernet cable from your router's Ethernet port to your computer, open any web browser from your computer and type or click here 192.168.1.1 > default username = leave blank and enter password = admin > now once router's web interface is launched click on setup than click on basic setup.
  • select AUTOMATIC CONFIGURATION - DHCP than leave rest of the settings as it is and just scroll down & find time zone here select your time zone and click on SAVE SETTINGS.
  • Now click on WIRELESS TAB > wireless network mode - Mixed > wireless network name (SSIS) - give a name to your wireless network > channel - 6 > broadcast - enable > than click on SAVE SETTINGS.
  • Than click on WIRELESS SECURITY > select security mode - WPA2 PERSONAL > wpa algorithm - TKIP+AES > wpa shared key - type a strong wireless password XXXXX note it down > click on SAVE SETTINGS.
  • It's done, Now try to join your wireless network from your computer with the wireless password.
  • Let me know the outcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your response worked right up until wireless security. There s no place to enter what you suggested. The choices are VPN (all clicked on enable) and firewall (3 out of 4 selections were checked There is no place to put WPA2 or algurithim or password. Now what?

Follow the steps as previous thread and see the image to configure wireless security settings,
graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you wrote. I had to put in Linksys in the first screen, you can't leave it blank. In the second screen there is no option for WPA pre-hared key. I picked WPA2.

Now how to get back to my secured network? Also what is the WPA key. I need that for anything I connect to. Also my network is called Byfied and that is no longer a choice on the wireless options.

Please answer ASAP, this is taking up too much time. I need to do other things.

Thanks

In basic wireless settings tab where you can find WIRELESS NETWORK NAME (ssid): Here you can give a name to your wireless network - Byfield and If you have picked WPA2 and write the wireless password XXXXX it's done.
Now you need to just connect to your wireless network. The WPA is a wireless security protocol its called wifi protected access.
Let me know the outcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It now says Byfield. Then a returned to WPA personal from WPA2. However, it is n ot connecting to my wireless account. It shows a hidden WPA key. I need to know what that is or how to change it to use Netflix direct to my Blu-Ray player.

Please advise. Can we talk instead of e-mail, then we can resolve this more quickly? My number is XXXXX

Sorry JustAnswer did not provide phone support, You are doing perfect in WPA personal settings, remove the wireless passphrase (Something like ********) and type what ever you like and note it down because its your wireless password.

Now try to connect your wireless network Byfield with the new wireless password XXXXX you have note down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now I am connected to my wireless on my PC. The last issues is to get connected thru Blu-ray. I put in my password XXXXX it didn't accept ti then I put in Byfield and it didn't. It is showing 8 characters and I don't know how to fix that. We did all of it but this part. please let's get this done so I can go our and take a walk before ti gets dark.
On your Blue-ray player you need to select your home wireless network name Byfield and than type your wireless password, Byfield is your wireless network name so don't type Byfield in wireless password.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did typed in my password XXXXX it didn't take. My password XXXXX XXXXX digets and there are 8 in what comes up under WPA key.

Which Blue-ray player do you use, let me know the make & model number please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sony BDP-S570

Refer this link @ click here and just click on Linksys WRT54G to start the step by step guide about how to connect your Blue-ray player to your wireless network Skip the steps which you have already configured in your router and let me know if you find any step unclear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot get past the first page. I have Micrfosoft XP. It has three steps, which I am all set on and then I cannot access the next page of instructions.

First click on wrt54g Under LINKSYS, than click on windows xp, than find the last button secure network Under 3rd option says determine if you have secured or unsecured network. Click on secured network and than continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now everything came undone. wE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 6 HOURS. I appreciate your help but this has been a big waste of a day. It is New Yw=ears Eve and I am quiting for today.

Dave, thank you for your effort but the issues have not been remedied yet.

Your wireless router is working fine you just need to connect your blue-ray player to your wireless router, Please follow the instruction @ click here and configure the network settings on your blue-ray player.
Let me know the outcome and Happy new year.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dave, I appreciate your help on Friday but after 6 hours I still cannot access my netflix through the wireless connection. It is Monday and I need to focus on my work and I cannot spend another day working on it. If you have a simple solution, other than going through it manually on Blu-ray (which undid everything we had accomplished earlier in the day). I had to go through all the steps again to get the wireless back on my computer.

My prefernce is to have someone walk me through it on the phone rather than this typing back and forth. I have asked a more technically orinted family member to come over next weekend and help me.

Your wireless network is now working fine, from blue-ray player you need to scan for available wireless networks and than choose your network name and type password. Let me know if you found any error.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Again, I have done all that. I can find my network name but it does not accept my password.