R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

Trying to set up Blue-Ray DVD player to internet wireless router

Trying to set up Blue-Ray DVD player to internet wireless router Model #WRT54G2 V1 and get the following message " Due to change of a WiFi policy, cannot support the TKIP security type in 802.11n mode. In thatcase check a security setting on the access point" Don,t know what to Do???
Can you help me?
Category: Networking
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this.

This message means that we're going to need to change the security settings on your wireless network. When you do this, you'll have to change the way all of your wireless devices connect to it, although in actual practice this is a fairly minor thing to change on the devices (you just disconnect from the wireless network and reconnect using the new security information, most of which is invisible to you). I'd advise that you have a computer connected directly to your wireless router with a wired ethernet network cable when you do this, as it cuts down on the complications during the process of getting these settings changed. You can change the setting like this:

1. Go to this address, using your
    web browser (use the computer that is wired to the router): http://192.168.1.1

2. Log in with no user name and the password admin.

3. Near the top of the page, next to where it says Setup on the left, is
    a link labeled Wireless. Click on it, then click on
    Wireless Security and select AES from the
    WPA Algorithm drop-down box (or TKIP+AES if you're using the WPA2 Personal security mode), then click Save Settings, click on any confirmation boxes that might come
    up, and close your web browser.

At that point, try to connect your Blu-Ray player to the Internet again and let me know if you have any further difficulty, or if some part of my instructions didn't work as expected.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

followed your instruction still getting same results--changed wireless security dropdown box to AES (existing was TKIP+AES) did not work---should security mode be WPA2 Personal--tried WPA Personal did not work either??

puzzled??

MJH

This troubleshooting step is posted as an answer, per site policy, but don't accept it until you're satisfied that it has answered your original question.

The only other thing to try is to change to WEP (128-bit) security and enter a passphrase. With that done, click the Generate button and write down the security key listed next to Key 1. It should be 26 mixed letters and numbers long, and you should click Save Settings when done. Try connecting to the network with that security key and see if you get a connection then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

made all changes you requested-now receive message "connection established but not working properly. check network settings" Tried network test received following message "network configuration is not valid" Tried putting in local (IP) adress from Linksystem setup sheet 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 ????

Network Test reads as follows

Mac address ( 00:1b:b1:18:ae:7c) --- ok

IP adress,Subnet,Gateway,DNS server --- x or no good

Gateway Address

Have to go out-will not be able to do anything further today . Thanks MJH

If you assigned the IP address 192.168.1.1 to your Blu-Ray player, you'll be having all kinds of trouble. That's the address that the wireless router uses. If you've decided to use a manual address (I'd recommend getting one via DHCP, automatically), try using 192.168.1.5, which shouldn't conflict with the router, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway address (sometimes called "default gateway") of 192.168.1.1 (which is the router's address, as it should be).

If you have the Blu-Ray player configured for DHCP and it isn't getting an address, then there's typically something else wrong with the way that this is configured.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in "network test" dropdown menu

mac address, ok

ipaddress,subnet,gateway,dns server ok

gateway ping (not ok) guess we need more info??-MJH

note

not connected to gateway. check if network cable is properly connected. check network settings and verify that the current gatewayis on the network. for more information contact your network provider ?? MJH

Given that you're not using the IP address 192.168.1.1 for the Blu-Ray player, the fact that you can't ping the gateway, that typically means that either the wireless security isn't set up correctly (type, key/passphrase, MAC address filter), the wireless portion of the Blu-Ray player is malfunctioning, there is some type of radio-frequency or physical interference with the wireless signal (we can eliminate this by testing the signal with a wireless device right next to the Blu-Ray player), or that the wireless router isn't working (which we can strike from the list, because you have other wireless devices that are verified to be working correctly with this router).

Can you get a good wireless connection using another wireless device right next to the Blu-Ray player? If so, we're really down to the wireless hardware in the Blu-Ray player not working properly. About the only other test would be to temporarily turn wireless security off entirely and see if the Blu-Ray player can connect to the Internet then. If it can, then there's still something not quite right with how the wireless security is working.

Let me know what you find.
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

getting strong signal at blue ray player, used lap-top, but cannot connect to internet-moved lap-top to orignal position and now getting signal but lap top cannot connect to internet- laptop now tells me cannot read router address??---think everything is now screwed up,ready to forget it all------and start from scratch and reset router to orignal and redo everything-----thanks mjh