sandy, Networking Engineer
Experience:  B.Tech.

I just installed a Netgear N150 wireless router (WNR1000).

I just installed a Netgear N150 wireless router (WNR1000). I router seems to be working correctly with my DSL, however my internet speeds seem to be drastically reduced on my wired desktop PC and also on my laptop that is using the wireless connection. Mutilple bandwidth tests on both computers are typically coming up in the showing results in the range of 250-300 kbps.

I've power cycled the computers, modem and router. Is there a likely cause of these greatly reduced speeds, and some easy remedies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Category: Networking
Expert:  sandy replied 4 years ago.
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please, follow these steps on the computer(like your desktop computer) which is connected to the router using an ethernet cable. However, if you have only laptop, please connect an extra cable from router to laptop.

Also, please make sure that Modem must be connected to the Internet/wan port of the router.

Open an Internet Explorer browser and type the router IP address this does not work, please try
Hit enter.
Now, type the use name=admin
Now, click OK.
NOw, please try to change the channel settings or change the channel nubmer and click Apply and then OK. Please check the speed under these channel.

Please click the ACCEPT button, so that your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my Time, work and efforts. I earn my living out of it. You will NOT be charged twice. Bonus and Positive Feedback would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried multiple channel numbers, and the speed tests are still reporting the same numbers
Expert:  sandy replied 4 years ago.

Once you reset it sucessfully, please try to connect wireless. If it still asks for password, please disconnect the cables connecting the modem, router and computer and turn them off.Now, please connect the cables back in and restart modem first, second router and then computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still not resolved. Your first solution was to change the channel # XXXXX my router. That made no difference. Your second solution was to have me reset my router, that also made no difference. Is also required me to go back throught the whole setup process for the router, which you did not happen to mention when you asked me to hit the reset button on the back of router.
Expert:  sandy replied 4 years ago.
No, you do not need to go through any setup process after resetting your router.

Also, please bypass the router and connect the cable directly to modem and check the speed.
sandy, Networking Engineer
Experience: B.Tech.