MrBillClark
MrBillClark, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and I own a small IT consulting company near Boston.
30914120

I need to access the 192.168.254.254 page to get my internet

I need to access the 192.168.254.254 page to get my internet service running again. Can you get me the link
Category: Networking
Expert:  MrBillClark replied 4 years ago.

MrBillClark :

Your question is a little confusing. There's no 192.168.254.254 page. Thats an IP address. Its how your computer is located on a network. Let me try to understand. You rolled back your computer, does this mean you used System Restore? Then you say you need to access the 192.168.254.254 page. Is this the IP of your router maybe? I'm trying to understand what you mean. Any way you could clarify a little bit.

Customer :

Yes that is the ip I use to reset my router on line when my internet rputer. I can't get to it when I do an onine search for it.

MrBillClark :

Is this a wired or wireless network?

Customer :

wireless

MrBillClark :

when you look for available networks, do you see yours?

Customer :

yes I see mine and it says connected

MrBillClark :

Ok, says connected, but can't get to any websites, right?

Customer :

right

MrBillClark :

Ok, what operating system are you using so I know how to explain things.

Customer :

windows 7 home premium on this laptop

MrBillClark :

Ok, but are you near the computer/network that are not working?

Customer :

yes that'st the one I am using now

MrBillClark :

How are you using it then? Plugged in? Or on a neighbors wireless or something?

Customer :

I'm using my windows 7 computer and another network that is not mine

Customer :

Another available wireless network near me

MrBillClark :

Ok. So you'll lose me for this, but that is ok, you can come back here after. Unconnect from the network you are using, then connect to yours. Then click on the start button, type cmd into the search box. Then in the black box that pops up type in ipconfig /release and hit enter then type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter, then type in ipconfig /renew and hit enter. Make sure there is a space after ipconfig each time before the 2nd part. Then try to get on a website.

MrBillClark :

If you get any messages indicating something didnt work, make sure you note them so you can come back and tell me.

Customer :

I'll try that. Then i need to sign back in with you. I have to write this down because my printer won't print because its offline

MrBillClark :

Ok, just click on "My Questions" when you come back to justanswer.com

Customer :

I 'm still not on my network yet. Using another one. I can't get past the ipconfig/release because it says my media is disconnected. What do i do?

MrBillClark :

I'll give you a couple things to try, give em a shot. I gotta hit the hay. I'll check in tomorrow to see if they worked for you or not. 1. there is a setting in your wireless properties, right click your wireless connection, go to properties and there should be an advanced button on bottom click it and place a check in connect to non prefered networks and 2. If your laptop has a switch on it, make sure the wireless is turned on. Some laptops have it right by the keyboard or on the side, you could have hit it by mistake if you have one. 3. Run winsock fix, found here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 and lastly:

1. Right click on "Computer" and click on manage.

2. go to "Services".

3. On the Services screen, scroll down until you find "Wireless Zero Configuration".

4. Start this service.

5. Now go to "Network Connections" and right click your wireless adapter icon.

6. I can't remember exactly which tab it is, but find the one where you have the option
to check or uncheck "Use Windows to configure my wireless connections" or something to that effect. Make sure it is checked.

MrBillClark :

If none of that works, let me know and I'll check it out tomorrow.

MrBillClark :

Actually, try this first. Disable your WIRED connection. Your computer may be looking for the wired network and it doesn't find it because nothing is attached so it says media disconnected. Right click on your wired connection in network and sharing center and click disable. Then see if you can restart the computer and then connect to your network and get online. I'll check back tomorrow.

Customer :

I got it to work. I had to type some extra things in dos. Thank you

Experience: I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and I own a small IT consulting company near Boston.