Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

My Router is Not Working. What Should I do?

My wireless router has stopped working. What should I do?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am John Cappucci. I will be happy to help you.

What's your router brand and model?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Netgear 54 mbps Wireless Router WGR614v7

This what is written on the bottom of the Router

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless" and no password will be asked (we can setup a password after all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 30 seconds.

4- Then unplug it from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows Vista:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "Classic View" on the left

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Connect to a Network" (on the left)

6- You will see a list of wireless networks, please select your network name ('netgear' or 'wireless') and click "Connect" (If you don't see any network name listed, please let me know)

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think the router is dead because I unplugged it so I could get to it easier and when I plugged it back in, there is no power light. I tried a different adapter for power, but I still get nothing. Do I just need a new router?

Yes, I think so :-( You can try with a new AC adapter, but if the router is fried you will lose the money of the AC adapter.

You can buy a new Linksys router (I like them a lot) if you want, the new routers are also faster. I recommend the Linksys E2000 or E3000. The E2000 is priced $74.99 at amazon.com with free shipping and no tax ---> click here for more info

The E3000 is priced $138 with free shipping and no tax, more info ---> here

Also, you can consider the cheap E1000 for $52, also with no tax and free shipping, more info here ---> here

And here you can see the comparison ---> http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/linksys-e_series-comparison-v2-750.jpg

I think they have those prices because today is Cyber Monday. But I am not sure.

Thank you

Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I'm back. I found another power source that will work, but after I reset it etc and let it sit for 5 minutes, it told me there wasn't a network available to connect to.

1- Click Start, then Control Panel

2- Now click "Network and Internet"

3- Then click "Network and Sharing Center"

4- And then click "Manage network connections"

What do you see listed there ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says it is connected to a Local Area Connection. Under that it says Network 2

NVIDIA nForce Networking

Do you see "Wireless Network Connection" there? You should! If you don't, please let me know your computer brand and model. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there is no "Wireless Network Connection" there because.....

Ok here is what I am having to do. When I am on the internet with you I have to have the internet cable in one place connected directly to the computer . When I am trying to find the network, I remove the cable and put it in the back of the Netgear Router so that it can try to find the network. When the cable is attached to the router, I have no internet connection at all. And I have a Dell Inspiron 531.

Ok, thank you. I would like to reinstall the wireless driver on your Dell as you don't have the "Wireless Network Connection" listed. Please let me know the service tag number. It should be located on bottom or back of your Dell. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the wireless driver CD in front of me if that will help.

I'm not sure what the service tag number is, but here is a number a found on the back.

FQFBBF1

Do you have the wireless CD for the router for your computer?

I have checked your FQFBBF1 computer configuration and it seems it didn't come with a wireless card. Have you installed one later?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the Netgear CD.

I also have these CD's for the computer:

Drivers and Utilities, Operating system, Roxio Creater, Microsoft and the Monitor CD.

I just used the wireless router and it has been working fine. I have 2 laptops and a printer that have all been used on the wireless router lately.

I am going to re install the router on my computer. Then if that doesn't work, I'm going to buy a new router. I have been using the router for several years, and I will get a new one if necessary. Thank you for your help!