Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Technician with years of IT and customer support experience

how do I change my network key on a netgear wirless router

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
what model netgear is it?
are you on a computer connected to it now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wnr1000 netgear
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have three lap tops connected now, I had to have one repaired and now it wants a network key to sign on and I do not know what it is, this computer is using now
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
  1. Log in to your NETGEAR router by browsing to or Enter the username (admin) and password. By default, the password XXXXX password or 1234 unless it has already been changed.
  2. From the left-hand navigation menu of the Router Manager, select Set Up > Wireless Settings.
  3. From the center screen, select your encryption type from under the Security Options heading.

• If the wireless network passphrase is visible, review it and use it to log devices onto your network.
    • If it is not visible, you can change your wireless passphrase; however, changing the passphrase will cause you to lose your wireless connection. Connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable before entering a new passphrase into the text box and clicking Apply.

If you cannot log into your router:

Unfortunately, there is no way to recover a lost or forgotten password XXXXX a router or access point; you will need to reset the device to factory defaults. However, once the device is reset to factory defaults, you can use the default username ("admin") and password (either "password" or "1234" depending on your router) to reconfigure your router settings.

NOTE: Restoring factory defaults on a device will erase any customizations you have made. You will lose any configurations saved to the device!

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

Edited by Dimmu PC on 11/24/2010 at 6:31 PM EST