John D
John D, Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

John D answered my question before-maybe he can answer these

Customer Question

John D answered my question before-maybe he can answer these :
-I am working on a big spreadsheet, actually 500 columns. Is there a way of expanding the spreadsheet beyond IV...A goes to Z and AA goes to AZ but IA only goes to IV...I need the spreadsheet to get up to say MZ....
-when I link the worksheets...I have a list of historic prices..the names of the stocks are at the top of the columns..IBM CSCO etc and the dates are in my rows...(I tried putting the names in the rows and the dates in the columns but still ran out of space because I have a year's worth of dates)..anyway I want to compare the historic dates with the current stock prices in order to rank the best to worst performing stocks at a given date...so in my One Year worksheet I have a column that takes the prices from the historic worksheet so my link is for instance =Fixed1!HV2 for a date of 11/17/09; the next day I could do =Fixed1!HV3 and so forth, that way I can compare the present price with the price at a specific day and get a % plus or minus; the objective is that I can then do a sort on the Performance column and get the best to worst..so two subsidiary questions:
a)-in my One Year worksheet I have had to copy the same formula over and over again manually...i.e.=Fixed1!A2;then =Fixed1!B2 all the way out to =Fixed1!IV2...is there some way I can automate this process? I tried the Concatenate function but that doesn't work in the case of a link..
b)-if I can't get all the historic data in one worksheet (so I used two worksheets Fixed1 and Fixed2) and I change the dates (for instance to do a One Month Performance sort) the prices will change up to IV if I highlight up to IV but beyond Excel goes into a tailspin and I have to Cntrl+Alt+Delete.
On smaller spreadsheets I can highlight the column and go Cntrl+F=Find and Replace, Find the current date say all the 2s and put say 241 in Replace for one month ago and all the prices change, then do my sort...

I'd send you the spreadsheet but it updates on Thomson Reuters so without Thomson all you'd get is #NA..I used to have Bloomberg that works much better for this kind of thing. I've also used a VBA macro that someone gave me that works on Yahoo but Yahoo can still only take 100 odd fields at one time so I need 5 spreadsheets to do the job. My current workplace uses Thomson that can handle the data but Excel is lacking....can you give me all or any part of the answers to my questions?
Category: Networking
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Welcome back!

Unfortunately Excel versions 2003 and earlier have a maximum limit of 256 columns (i.e. up to column IV). But in the newer versions the number of columns has been substantially enhanced, You can now have 16384 columns (up to column XFD)

So I suggest that you upgrade to Excel 2007 or 2010.

However as workaround you may able to utilize your rows and use your data vertically by transposing it. If you need help in this regard send me your file and I will try to set it up for you

Hope this helps

John D, Engineering Consultant
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have Windows 7 at home but my workplace is not about to upgrade from Windows 2003 and I need it to work at work because the data is at the workplace..Can you asnwer my other questions...>
How can I send you the file?.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Sure, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the File ID and Download Link. Copy either the File ID or the Download Link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information you can either replace the sensitive data with dummy values, or let me know before you upload it.